Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-05-2008, 03:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
one more from the kid

Out of the mouth of babes comes wisdom in complexity. I'm truly sorry to bother you with this but I have another question from the kid. I am letting him do the readings for our tank while it is cycling. We use the API freshwater kit and in our excitement threw the instruction booklet away.
We know how to put the drops in and in the proper quantity but the kid raised a good question. Do we hold the test tube against the card when comparing readings or do we hold it away from the card. When I place it flush against the card I get a different reading as compared to about 1 inch away from the card. It's not much of a difference but it does change the readings ------ someone please also remind me to not have any more kids --- they hurt my brain

warped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:30 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
I usually place against a white background in good lighting a couple inches away from the card so there is no color interference.

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Well this color rendering that the test kits require is not an exact science. I guess the best thing to do is just be consistent in Your method.

I head some people like to do outside in good light, some look through the test tube, some put against the white on the card.

Personally I would agree with Innovator that I like to hold the tube a couple inches in front of the white on the card, with good lighting from my back/over shoulder.
10G,Planted- Endler's Livebearers+RCS, 55G,planted
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Understanding the basics will let you make informed decisions on what advice to follow, and what advice is just plain hooey!
SpeedEuphoria is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com