One or two canister filters for a 55 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish Whisperer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, it looks like I'll end up with a 55g tank. After much reading and deliberation I have 90% decided on a Filstar XP. My question is should I get a single XP3 or maybe two XP2's or even 2 XP1's? Would the difference between having one big filter as opposed to two smaller ones be great enough to justify the extra cost?

My gut tells me to Keep It Simple Stupid but what do you guys think.

KISS :)

Although personally on my 55 I have a Pengiun 330 for the biowheels and later on I added a Fluval 304, but the Penguin was running the system just fine before I added the extra flow. Mainly got the Fluval because I run peat in my system and its easier to manage media in canisters than in HOB's

I would go with one xP2 for a 55G. That one is good up to 75G tank. That will be plenty of filtration.

Menagerie said:
What is going to go into the tank?

Well gee, I guess it would be helpful to know that! :wink:

I know it will be a planted tank. Other than that I am not completely sure what I will put in it.

I run a 75gallon with one XP2. I love my filter, and think it'd be fine for a 55gallon. I'd avoid the XP1, simply because it has one less compartment for filter media, and isn't that much cheaper.

I'd get an XP3 and slap on a HOB filter as well. Redundancy and easier to maintain if one filter goes bad. Also depending on where you'll put them, two filters may drastically improve water flow.

I'd get an XP3 and slap on a HOB filter as well. Redundancy and easier to maintain if one filter goes bad. Also depending on where you'll put them, two filters may drastically improve water flow.

Back
Top Bottom