One rena restarts the other does not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brucemcl777

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a Rena Filstar xP 1 and Xp2. They are both over 5 years old.
I live in an area that has regular less than a second power failures.

Both filters run fine once they are going but when this power failure happens the Filstar 1 just restarts and keeps running. The Filstar 2 always stops and then has to be emptied and restarted which is a major pain.

Lately the Filstar 2 is getting harder and harder to restart. The impeller runs freely but there is increasingly what appears to be an air bubble occurring under the motor lid assembly when you fill it.

We spent about 10 hours yesterday and still could not get the XP2 going
while the XP1 runs merrily along.

Any ideas?

It could be the O-ring seal under the lid of the XP2 is getting worn out and so it's allowing the filter to suck in air. I think at planetrena.com you can get replacement parts for those filters, so that might be something to try.

It could also be that at 5 years old the motor is just weakening and it may need to be replaced.

It runs very strong once it starts so I don't think the motor. However the o ring you refer to has always been problematic so I think I will order a replacement just to try.

In any case thank you for the quick reply and suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom