Oops Rookie Mistake!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellieca

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, today I decided to rinse out my canister filter media for the 1st time since I set it up two weeks ago. Had it unplugged, vac'd & syphon end out the tank, flipped the lever to remove the filter hoses & here comes the water gushing out!!! Attached it back really quick. OOPS! Had to go back to the instructions, forget the lever shut off first. After that easy as pie!

When I ran canister filters I would keep them in a 5 gallon bucket, I could disconnect the hoses and remove bucket and all. If it should start leaking i had a better chance of catching it instead of finding the wet carpet as my only clue.

Last edited:
First time I used a canister filter was on a salt tank. When I primed it I found out the o-ring didnt seat right. About 2 gallons of salt water ended up on my carpet. At least im just renting I guess?

Ditto that! Great idea! When I first set up my canister I had the O ring in the wrong spot and it started to massively leak. Wish I'd thought of the bucket idea. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom