Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

operating voltage of filter

i would like to order some aquarium accessories from amazon USA site for use in my home at Dubai. I am confused about the operating voltage of these devices such as filters and heaters. i am planning to buy "aquaclear" filter and some other equipments. will they run on universal range of voltages. i want the one which runs on 240V. this is the voltage in dubai

Old 02-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesh7318 View Post
i would like to order some aquarium accessories from amazon USA site for use in my home at Dubai. I am confused about the operating voltage of these devices such as filters and heaters. i am planning to buy "aquaclear" filter and some other equipments. will they run on universal range of voltages. i want the one which runs on 240V. this is the voltage in dubai
Hi nilesh, i believe the voltage in the US is 110v. Personally i wouldn't mess with voltage and would only use the correct voltage for my country.. Also the plug in the US are 2 pin, are they the same in Dubai??. For safety sake i wouldn't do it. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night!!. I know there are voltage converters available but it seem a lot of hassle and expense. Could you not order from an Amazon or Ebay a bit closer to home. It would be cheaper and safer...
PS.. I know i'm not from the US(obviously!!) but i'm sure our American friends would agree. As always though, i do stand corrected.... Ian

Old 02-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
Hi nilesh, i believe the voltage in the US is 110v. Personally i wouldn't mess with voltage and would only use the correct voltage for my country.. Also the plug in the US are 2 pin, are they the same in Dubai??. For safety sake i wouldn't do it. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night!!. I know there are voltage converters available but it seem a lot of hassle and expense. Could you not order from an Amazon or Ebay a bit closer to home. It would be cheaper and safer...
PS.. I know i'm not from the US(obviously!!) but i'm sure our American friends would agree. As always though, i do stand corrected.... Ian

I would agree, they probably make some for your needs over there someplace.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm an electrician by trade and voltage here in us is between 110 and 120 single phase if you have 240 and you try to use something design for 110 it will fry the motor your best Bet is to by a converter if you cannot get quality fish filters in Dubai also you need to take into account the frequency of you electric in the us our electric operates at 60hz in lamens terms it cycles or pulses 60 times a second I know many other countries over seas only use 50hz so be sure to do your homework
Old 02-22-2013, 06:26 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

hi ian,
thanks for your reply, i wanted to buy from amazon USA as my brother stays over there in US and he will bring it home for me. you have a very valid point regarding the voltage converters as i was thinking of the same. I think i can only order from UK or europe.
most of the electrical equipments nowadays operate on universal voltage range 110v to 240v . I tried to contact amazon customer care in USA but they did not know the voltage range. if i can only check on the original packing box of the equipment or the equipment itself ,,then we can know the voltage it operates.

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com