opinion son this set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RooRoo

Aquarium Advice Regular
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3804465&lmdn=Fish+Aquariums+&+Bowls

Hey everyone....looking for opinions on this tank and stand from Petsmart. It is skinny and tall, but 60 gallons. Will the reduced surface area affect water quality? Will it be difficult to maintain for a total newcomer to the hobby? Looking to keep Platys, tetras, and similar schooling fish....will they be happier in a shallower tank? Looking for any and all opinions. I just don't always understand why like this 60 gal with a stand and hood is way cheper than other 40 or 55 gal with just a hood and no stand? Makes me think there is a reason its cheap, like its not a desirable tank. Let me know what you guys think, its on sale for another week :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Something is strange
Looking it the dimensions it says the tank is taller than it is long, but the tank pictured is longer than it is tall
Crunching the dimensions given I come up with 153.8 gallons
I am thinking that the height listed is from the floor to the top of the tank when it is on the stand

This tank doesn't come with a filter
The more expensive smaller tank kits probably have some kind of filter and an air pump
Make sure you are not comparing apples to oranges

A long aquarium provides more surface area for gas exchange
Tall tanks are good for fish like Angelfish and Discus

The more water you have in the tank the easier it will be to keep the water chemistry stable

If the tank really is almost 60" (5') tall you will need scuba gear to work in it

kc2ped said:
Something is strange
Looking it the dimensions it says the tank is taller than it is long, but the tank pictured is longer than it is tall

This tank doesn't come with a filter
The more expensive smaller tank kits probably have some kind of filter and an air pump
Make sure you are not comparing apples to oranges

A long aquarium provides more surface area for gas exchange
Tall tanks are good for fish like Angelfish and Discus

The more water you have in the tank the easier it will be to keep the water chemistry stable

If the tank really is almost 60" (5') tall you will need scuba gear to work in it

The sizing includes the stand/topper too lol. It's sold as a kit (stand/tank/topper) so they have to tell you how much total space it takes up.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

LOL, yeah, the 60" is with the stand, but the tank is still taller than normal, and I can't reach the bottom of it when its on the stand.

RooRoo said:
LOL, yeah, the 60" is with the stand, but the tank is still taller than normal, and I can't reach the bottom of it when its on the stand.

Yep with it on the stand, I think you'd need a step ladder to get in there even with the topper out of the way. Good looking setup though and really good price for brand new.

I AM a 5'7" female with short arms!! LOLOL so what you're saying is as a total newcomer I should probably pass on this one and stick with a shorter tank so I don't get frustrated?

nah, you should be ok with it. The tank dimensions are actually
48 3/4 long 12 7/8 front to back 23 7/8 deep

Our 120 is is about 25 inches and I can do it fine on a small step stool

RooRoo said:
I AM a 5'7" female with short arms!! LOLOL so what you're saying is as a total newcomer I should probably pass on this one and stick with a shorter tank so I don't get frustrated?

Not at all, I have a 37g tall and although not as tall as this one I still have to plan it out. If I have to do a lot of work at the bottom I just have to do a big PWC. Granted you'd have to be on a step stool/ladder but with planning, IMO it can be done. You can make a great tank out of it and I'd think about it too for my new SW setup if I had the room.

New update!! We went out shopping this weekend, and I passed on a deal for a 75 gallon Aqueon tank. I was pretty bummed later when I got home and realized it would have fit in the spot we have reserved for an aquarium. I called the store today, and they said they would honor that same deal this coming weekend, so I think we are going to do it!! It's an Aqueon 75 gallon tank, glass versa top, soild pine stand, and a flourescent light fixture. I'm not sure the specifics on the light, but the whole deal is $420. The tank and cover are way nicer than the tall skinny one we were looking at. We had decided to do a standard 55 gallon, then we went to a friends house who had one set up, and my Finacee said he really liked the wider 75 gallon better. How can I argue with a guy who WANTS me to buy a bigger tank? :) Only questions I would have are these.....is it a decent price? Is a 75 gallon too much for a beginner?

RooRoo said:
New update!! We went out shopping this weekend, and I passed on a deal for a 75 gallon Aqueon tank. I was pretty bummed later when I got home and realized it would have fit in the spot we have reserved for an aquarium. I called the store today, and they said they would honor that same deal this coming weekend, so I think we are going to do it!! It's an Aqueon 75 gallon tank, glass versa top, soild pine stand, and a flourescent light fixture. I'm not sure the specifics on the light, but the whole deal is $420. The tank and cover are way nicer than the tall skinny one we were looking at. We had decided to do a standard 55 gallon, then we went to a friends house who had one set up, and my Finacee said he really liked the wider 75 gallon better. How can I argue with a guy who WANTS me to buy a bigger tank? :) Only questions I would have are these.....is it a decent price? Is a 75 gallon too much for a beginner?

For brand new I'd say that's a good deal. As for too much? It depends on what you want to do with it, FW, brackish, or SW? My best suggestion is start slow and add on as you go. Please make sure to read up on fishless cycling here at AA, it'll save you a lot of time and fishies in the long run.

RooRoo said:
Is a 75 gallon too much for a beginner?

I think the more water you have the harder it is to mess it up
Like they used to say when I was growing up, "dilution is the solution to pollution"
If you don't excess the tank't carrying capacity you are less likely to see water quality swings, or at least they will be smaller ones, in a larger tank

Ya the bigger the tank the better in SW. Bad stuff takes longer to happen and gives you more of a chance to fix it before its a big problem.. Also you will be much happier with this wood stand. The other was particle board which does not like getting wet a solid wood stand will be better looking, stonger and last longer..

Shane.

Back
Top Bottom