Opinions need on canister filter..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarineFlake

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am considering purchasing a canister filter for my little 29G. I need something that will accept other media. That is, I want to be able to stock it with carbon, po4 killer, etc with out having to buy some proprietary bag from the vendor. I also want something that won't require me to dump all the #$@% water out so I can change filters, media, etc. I have a hob now, but I have to siphon all the water out and pull the whole unit to really get it clean. Anyone use a canister filter now that they would recommend thats flexible like this?

Thanks!

I have a 104 fluval on my 32 gallon hex, it works great with all media (in its baskets I have put carbon pellets, purigen pillows, Ceramic media, floss, etc). Although looking back I would have bought more lr and ph s instead... But the fluval is great, silent and primes easy too... Good luck...

Ive seen both though its hard to tell if they meet the requirements from a description and a picture. So the fluval and xp3 both accept other media, say carbon or rowaphos with out some goofy mod? Dont have to dump all the water for easy replacement of filters?

The XP3 has three baskets that can be filled with media, although you may have to bag the media. The baskets have handles that you can use to lift the baskets out of the canister.

The fluval meets those requirements as well. Just get carbon pellets and you will be fine with the fluval. Although in my opininion the xp3 would be overkill for a 29 gallon tank and the xp2 would be ok as would the fluval 104 or 204.

I second the recommendation on the Fluval 104.. I have a 29 as well. Use as much LR as you can...

OK, so 204 Fluval or a XP2. They both accept diff media. Kool. Ther is not much rock in the tank, it was supposed to be a freag tank, but I was a bad boy..I did put my frags in there, but neglected to to sell any. So, its got maybe 5 - 10 lbs of lr. I was just using a skimmer on it and need to control the hair algea better so I figured something I could run some rowaphos and carbon in would be best. I have a HOB but its such a pain to clean. I was looking for a cannister filter I could just pop the top on with out much mess, replace filters/media, etc and pop the top back on.

Thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom