Opinions needed on best canister filter under $80

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Best canister under $80

• Penn Plax Cascade 1000 Canister Filter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aquarium Pharmaceuticals RENA Filstar XP 2 Canister Filter

• Marineland H.O.T. Magnum - 250 G.P.H.

• Marineland Magnum 350 Micron Filter

• Other - Please specify in a reply.

• Total voters

Ketso

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am in the process of putting together my very first tank. A 55 gallon community freshwater with live plants and low to mid lighting. I have decided on my fish and a few of the plants and am now looking at filtration.

I have been advised that a canister filter would be good for my situation. However, I don't have the budget for a high dollar Eheim unit. therefore, I am here asking you. What is the best canister filter for under $80? I realize that this is based very much on opinions. But opinions is all I can base this decision on really.

Here are links to the 4 in the poll above (all at Big Als):
Penn Plax Cascade 1000 Canister Filter
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals RENA Filstar XP 2 Canister Filter
Marineland H.O.T. Magnum - 250 G.P.H.
Marineland Magnum 350 Micron Filter

If you know of another, by all means, let me know. I need to come to some sort of conclusion on a filter fairly soon.

Thanks for any and all input!

I have the Filstar XP3 and am highly impressed with it. I have heard the same stories about the XP2. I think, however, if you could get the extra $20 and get the XP3 you would be much happier on that 55. I'm running mine on a 46.

Get the Eheim clone - Odyssea CFS-4 ( formerly Jebo 828). It has all the features of the Eheim pro 2026 and IMO performs just as well. I've got mine 2 years now without any problems. I paid $39.99 new at superfishstore.com Eheim fans think there is nothing like an Eheim. Get an Odyssea and see why Eheim is overpriced. It's a 4 stage filter with all media included,push-primer,no-bypass feature. Few have said they only wished the shutoff valves on the Jebo swiveled like Eheim. I find it is not important at all. There are other online stores that sell the Odyssea. Aquatraders.com is another. If you do a search you'll come up with others.

i have a jebo 838 on my 75 gallon FW planted tank. I got mine off ebay with a heater and powerhead for $65.

Back
Top Bottom