Opinions on canister filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shelby1712

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 75 gallon fish only tank. Now i just have 2 millennium power filter on it. I also have a Prism protein skimmer.
I have:
1 blue tang
1 christmas wrasse
2 perc clowns
1 coral beauty dwarf angel

I would like to get rid of the power filters since they look bad hanging on the back of the aquarium. Im interested in the canister filters. Maybe the fluval 404 canister. Would this be the way to go or should I try something else.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
The 404 is a decent filter. I suggest using more of a Berlin method of filtration. This would include aggressive skimming and 110-150lbs of LR. A HOB or canister are not really needed. However, you could use the canister to run chemical filtration and as a means of mechanical filtration. Just know that they need to be cleaned on a very regular basis.

Welcome to AA!! If you do a quick search of the threads in here, there have been several recent threads on canister comparison. Since I am a fw fishkeeper, I won't be much help for your setup, but the search should bring up some lively discussion threads.
Again, Welcome!!

Thanks for the welcoming. I just found a few great reviews on this site about canister filters. THanks :mrgreen:

I would invest in some live rock. Maybe 50-75 lbs of premium and ditch the HOB filters. Canister filters do little more then circulate and provide chemical filtration. Upgrade your protein skimmer if you want a better filter.

I am currently using 2 Eheims on my 75 gallon tank. I know it is an over kill, I think they are both rated for more than 75 gallons, but they are left over from my freshwater aquarium days. I figured over filtration is better than underfiltration.

They are both very quiet and have been trouble free. I have owned them both for about 4 years. One of them has detachable media chambers that makes it convenient for adding chemical filtration if necessary.

At some point I am planning on installing a sump with LR ruble, but in the mean time my Eheims are working great.

I have a fluval 404 on my tank and really only clean it maybe twice a month but the crap it collects and get's out of my water I would say it is very worth it. I only have the filter floss and live rock rubble in the baskets and I am pleased with it plus with the spraybar attachment helps with circulation.

Here is the biggest problem with Canisters: They never remove the debris from the water. It sits in a dark chamber disolving , being strained through sponge material and various media. if your trying to run media with it (Like carbon or Phosphate remover) then cool, otherwise pull the garbage out of the tank with a better skimmer.

I'd go for a canister filter combined with lr,

I favour my Eheim 2013 canister over lr on my 32 gal, its quiet (even less so than my damned air pumps!), and it keeps the water Crystal!

If i was running a larger 75 gal, however, I would probably go for perhaps one canister filter combined with quite alot of lr.

If you do decide to go for the canister filter approach go for an Eheim, mines beatifully reliable and I havn't heard great news about other makes.

Canister

I was in the same boat as you. After my fluvial 404 stopped running, I was faced with the question, Do I really need a filter. I ran my take for just under a week without a filter relying on LR and my protein Skimmer. I have to say that my tank was not as clear as it once was. Allege seemed to form easier and faster. My wife and I decided to go with a EHEIM 2227 Wet Dry filter. If you decide on the EHEIM 2227 Wet Dry Filter, know that is is tricky to get started. You have to get the suction going by filling up the hose then opening the in valve. A little tricky but a much better canister design then the Fluvial. It is clearing up the tank and adding wave simulation that my clowns seems to love to play in. I would say go with a filter just to keep the water clear.

Back
Top Bottom