Opinions on filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Timster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys, I have a 20 gal fish tank that I bought at petsmart about a year ago and it came with a topfin filter (aka tetra whisper) rated for a 20 gal. I am under the impression that this is sufficient filtration but not quite ideal. Anyways I am just looking for your opinion on what brand of filter I should get. I have seen Emperor and Aquaclear filters around but not sure which one is the best. Also, my fishtank is in my bedroom so I need a filter that doesn't make any noise.

Thanks,

Tim:)

Aquaclear makes an excellent product. A 30 or a 50 would do fine on your tank. I have one that is close to 10 years old. It is still in use on my QT tank when needed.

I agree with Rich regarding the Aqua-Clears. In regard to noise, if you keep your water level high enough to eliminate a large waterfall effect, there will be no noise at all. Sleep tight. :)

I have an aquaclear as well. I really like the filter a lot but (maybe I got a defective one) mine is noisy. It makes a, I dont want to say rattling noise, but that is as close as I can come to what it is, that is magnified with the lid on. I ended up just taking the lid off. I know someone will ask if I have checked/cleaned the impeller, and yep, I did. :D

I agree with the aqua clear. I picked up a aquaclear 20 (they were called mini's i believe) for only 10 bucks. The medias aren't to expensive and its really quite. It runs on my 20gal the water is crystal clear. I also had a tetra whisper, but believe me it is far from a whisper. When you put the lid on the filter, it would rattle and intensified the noise from the motor. Also it has those little slide in medias wich i really don't think work as well. Any way I would go with the aqua clear. Its quite and filters like a charm.

i also would go with the hagen... best thing about them is the sponges are nearly indestructable and you dont need to buy them all the time, i use 2 sponges and 1 bag of biomedia and 1 screen sponge...

I never had a problem with Aquaclears, they do the job great. Emporers work well too, but the filter cartridges often get clogged, they have media too small.

If they are fish that like current or don't mind it much I would go with the aquaclear 50, if they are bothered by too much current go with a 30. JMO
I use AC 50's on my 20 gal's.

rich311k said:
Aquaclear makes an excellent product. A 30 or a 50 would do fine on your tank. I have one that is close to 10 years old. It is still in use on my QT tank when needed.

I second that.
The aquaclear powerfilter is arguably the best filter on the market.
Its Quiet - I mean super super super super quiet - you don't even know its on !!!!!!

Its effecient - An aquaclear MINI can filter tanks up to 20gallons !!!

Its can be modified - The aquaclear allows you to choose the media.
you can filter wool, sponge, carbon
You can just have wool
you can just have sponge
you can just have carbon
you can just have wool/carbon
you can just have sponge/carbon
the possibilities are endless !!!

PLUS the media storage compartment is HUGE !!!! - it maximises the surface area of the filter.

Its truly amazing -

If ONLY there was an aquaclear with a biowheel - now that would be a genius invention

Bubble_B0y said:
rich311k said:

I second that.
The aquaclear powerfilter is arguably the best filter on the market.
Its Quiet - I mean super super super super quiet - you don't even know its on !!!!!!

Its effecient - An aquaclear MINI can filter tanks up to 20gallons !!!

Its can be modified - The aquaclear allows you to choose the media.
you can filter wool, sponge, carbon
You can just have wool
you can just have sponge
you can just have carbon
you can just have wool/carbon
you can just have sponge/carbon
the possibilities are endless !!!

PLUS the media storage compartment is HUGE !!!! - it maximises the surface area of the filter.

Its truly amazing -

If ONLY there was an aquaclear with a biowheel - now that would be a genius invention

I hope you're right Bubbleboy, I just ordered a 110. Just from its design though I can tell its going to blow my Whisper 60 out of the water, and I actually really like my Whisper. I don't even think a Bio-Wheel would help, especially if you double up on the bio media like I plan to.

Back
Top Bottom