Opinions on Pengiun Power filters.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesMJ2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am sorry right off the bat, I am sure this has been covered before, but I missed the boat. I have a Aqua-Clear 150, which is an ok filter, but I would like something with better bio filtration. I have had my eye on the Pengiun 125, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this filter, and could offer some info.My tank specs are in my sig, much appreciated in advance.

I have an Emperor(big one w/2 bio-wheels)on my 40g,and love it.It holds 4 filter cartridges,I don't know if its a good idea to use all four?
I have an aqua clear on my 20g...does the job,but when it needs to be replaced,another penguin,for sure!The only reason the aqua clear is still with me is that,I also have it running my UG,which I think I want to ditch anyhow!Heard baaaad stuff about UG's.

I would not recommend the 125...I've had two of them and had trouble with both of them. I'd definitely go with the 170. The 125's I had clogged easily and both had a habit of losing their prime...not sure why. The 170's I've used worked well. You might consider an Emperor 280...it's a single cartridge version of the 400.

Yea, the 280 does look nice. Also it would be nice to have that kind of GPH versatility, if I ever get a bigger tank. Cost might be an issue though. It appears to be a trade off.. with my Aqua-Clear I get good mechanical filtration, but poor bio, with the penguin it's just the opposite unless I go with a bigger filter..

Actually, the Penguin has very good mechanical filtration. The floss will catch as much as the sponge in the AquaClear. I just don't like the 125 because I've had trouble with two different ones. I don't know what the problem was...they just didn't work well. I've used several of the 170's and they were all great. I'd suggest getting the 170 if you don't want to spring for the Emperor.

Had an emporer for 9 years or so since they were new and still use it. The two extra slots are for additional media (I've used it for extra carbon to polish the water and barley straw for bacteria blooms).

Back
Top Bottom