Opinions on Tank Size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edevingo

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering if anyone could give me some opinions. I currently have a 30g 40g and 60g and my Haps have outgrown my 60g. I was hoping to wait and get my big tank after construction but I def or should I say my fish need a bigger home asap. My problem is I can't decide if I should just get a 125g now or get a 75g and hope it will be good for 6 months. Guess I'm asking if a 75g is really going to make a difference, from my 60g.
Thanks

I would prob do a 90g over a 75g as a 15g increase isn't much but if you have the opportunity to get a 125g that would be my overall choice .
how long are you looking at construction is there anywhere out of harms way to keep the tank till construction is complete

Last edited:
I agree, I don't think you would notice much with the 75gal over a 60. Myself, if I could, I would go straight to the 125 if that's where you want to end up. But I would go 90gal atleast. My $0.02

For a limited time fish probably will be ok in smaller one. The 75 will provide more depth and that will be appreciated, but I think what this comes down to is do you have a use for the 75 afterwards? If it fits your future plans, go for it.

As 125 owner I can only say that I really enjoy everything about that size. It can cover your entire field of vision when looking g at your fish, yet I can still reach (barely) far corners without a ladder . The one thing I didn't enjoy is getting it down to basement. I shiver at the thought of having to move it. As much as I want to yell " yeh! Yeh! Get it now, it's awesome!" I probably would wait till after the move.

Good luck!

I would prob do a 90g over a 75g as a 15g increase isn't much but if you have the opportunity to get a 125g that would be my overall choice .
how long are you looking at construction is there anywhere out of harms way to keep the tank till construction is complete
We will be remodeling and putting on an addition onto our house starting in the spring. The addition is where the tank will ultimately be built in. Right now the ground floor is the only place that I could or would put it because of the weight and we do have space for it. Guess it's just the fact that if I had to move it mid construction it wouldn't be as easy as sliding it half empty. I know though that I won't be happy until I'm able to put these guys into a 6ft tank and watch them have room to really swim. My livingstonii are getting bigger by the day and you can tell they just want to go. Lol
Thanks for your input!

For a limited time fish probably will be ok in smaller one. The 75 will provide more depth and that will be appreciated, but I think what this comes down to is do you have a use for the 75 afterwards? If it fits your future plans, go for it.

As 125 owner I can only say that I really enjoy everything about that size. It can cover your entire field of vision when looking g at your fish, yet I can still reach (barely) far corners without a ladder . The one thing I didn't enjoy is getting it down to basement. I shiver at the thought of having to move it. As much as I want to yell " yeh! Yeh! Get it now, it's awesome!" I probably would wait till after the move.

Good luck!
Thank you.
I'm actually obsessed with getting a 6ft tank idk why but I get excited thinking about switching them over and watching them really have room to do their thing. My family thinks I'm nuts lol. The thought of moving my 60g makes me anxious. Ahh I usually have no problem making a decision when it comes to purchasing something especially when my boyfriend tells me it's up to me. Maybe that's why? Lol

I agree, I don't think you would notice much with the 75gal over a 60. Myself, if I could, I would go straight to the 125 if that's where you want to end up. But I would go 90gal atleast. My $0.02
Think that's one of my concerns also, I think I want to end up at 125g but I've always had a problem with knowing when to say when. Lol. When I asked my boyfriend if he would get a few of his workers to help move it in one of his work trailers, he paused for a sec and said " it won't fit in my 6ft truck bed?" Umm might be tight lol. Better start looking now before he has time to have a change of heart. Thanks for your .02 cents!

Isn't a 90g the same footprint as a 75g? So imo not much advantage there. If you have the space, I don't see how you could go wrong with a 125g. I've been looking for a bigger tank, and have seen some really nice, affordable 6' tanks. Then I got thinking that I'd probably end up spending a couple hundred buck on substrate, who knows how much on rocks, driftwood, plants, livestock, heaters, filtration, lights.... $400 for a 125g tank would turn into $1000+ so I'm sticking with what I have for a little while.

Isn't a 90g the same footprint as a 75g? So imo not much advantage there. If you have the space, I don't see how you could go wrong with a 125g. I've been looking for a bigger tank, and have seen some really nice, affordable 6' tanks. Then I got thinking that I'd probably end up spending a couple hundred buck on substrate, who knows how much on rocks, driftwood, plants, livestock, heaters, filtration, lights.... $400 for a 125g tank would turn into $1000+ so I'm sticking with what I have for a little while.
Almost positive 60g 75g 90g are all 4ft just vary in hieght and depth and of course its the 6ft lenght that is most important IMO. I've found a few on Craigslist selling for $300. I find the lights give me sticker shock. Fortunately or unfortunately, I started this obsession from inheriting a tank from a relative for free with 3 fish. Lmao... Well a yr later, I have a total of 4 tanks and I can honestly say, I've lost count of how many fish I have. Once I put them in the 60g, a few started spawning and haven't really stopped. I Started out not thinking I'd be able to keep them alive.(from past failures) I have an Mbuna tank,they only seem to care about Real Estate. I've got a male OB (was told all 3 were female) Well there's now so many fry in that tank I can't count them. My Electric Blue Hap has 3 females in his tank, they continue to spawn even when they are already holding. Don't understand that at all. lol So my "free fish tank" well see below. Lol. I'm very lucky that my BF runs a landscaping company, I've got half a pallet of slate out back for free, it's crazy how much LFS sell hardscape for, as long as you clean it ect it's the same stuff that landscapers use for allot less money.
6d9ec12613b03c18669dd024c69a474ba5c4b53f122fec210399b4d0e01990cd.jpg

Thank you.
I'm actually obsessed with getting a 6ft tank idk why but I get excited thinking about switching them over and watching them really have room to do their thing. My family thinks I'm nuts lol.
well, i will not be of any help here then, i'm actually eyeing something 8 foot :whistle: (just dreaming here too :) )

as to the delivery of larger aquariums, it is certainly a consideration, but i don't see this taking more then ordinary pickup. believe it or not my 6 footer made it home in my Honda Fit that aslo carried a passenger on that trip as i needed someone to help load (no stand though). so you are all set

I've been looking for a bigger tank, and have seen some really nice, affordable 6' tanks. Then I got thinking that I'd probably end up spending a couple hundred buck on substrate, who knows how much on rocks, driftwood, plants, livestock, heaters, filtration, lights.... $400 for a 125g tank would turn into $1000+ so I'm sticking with what I have for a little while.
i can see your point - tank is by far not the end of the story, obviously bigger tank will require more funds equip, surely four and even five figure amounts can be spent on this hobby. Nothing wrong with not dumping all income into a hobby, but comfortably budgeting instead.

but rocks? c'mon :) can i suggest a trip to nearest forest preserve?

You might consider the 120 gal. Long aquarium. It's five feet long, a little wider and taller than the 125. IMO makes a better display tank.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some opinions. I currently have a 30g 40g and 60g and my Haps have outgrown my 60g. I was hoping to wait and get my big tank after construction but I def or should I say my fish need a bigger home asap. My problem is I can't decide if I should just get a 125g now or get a 75g and hope it will be good for 6 months. Guess I'm asking if a 75g is really going to make a difference, from my 60g.
Thanks
Get a 100 my fav size tank [emoji226]

I'm omw home with a 100g 6ft long. Just fits in the pickup. I'd love to keep on upgrading but I'm getting lectured that this is it from the BF. [emoji28]

So strange, the pictures of your new tank that you posted for some reason are not visible. You surely posted pictures. I mean why would you post that you got a nice tank and not post pictures ;)

So strange, the pictures of your new tank that you posted for some reason are not visible. You surely posted pictures. I mean why would you post that you got a nice tank and not post pictures ;)
I haven't posted pics yet. I've got pics of my 60g tank on here but not the new one yet. Picked it up yesterday haven't stopped working on it. I drive myself crazy with stacking the slate. Especially now with 2 more ft. Lol This is it empty. 20180121_144646-picsay.jpg

I haven't posted pics yet. I've got pics of my 60g tank on here but not the new one yet. Picked it up yesterday haven't stopped working on it. I drive myself crazy with stacking the slate. Especially now with 2 more ft. Lol This is it empty. View attachment 306440
Omfg That completely went over my head. I def need some sleep. [emoji854]

Back
Top Bottom