Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2014, 05:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Opinions on the Fluval FX6

Hi, ive decided to purchase the fx6 this weekend and would like to know what you guys think of it, preferably someone who is using one atm or have had one in the past?

I will be using the fx6 as my primary filter for my mbuna tank (55g) and i know this is overkill but within a month or so my 5ft tank will arrive ready for my cichlids to go in there with the fx6 and a 405 my 55g will hopefully be used as my first marine, but thats off-topic.

FX6... Opinions guys?

Old 04-16-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Following..... I have been considering getting one

Old 04-29-2014, 02:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quality filter mate. I've had mine running now for a couple of weeks. Best on the market for sure. Just not the cheapest.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlarronlx View Post
Quality filter mate. I've had mine running now for a couple of weeks. Best on the market for sure. Just not the cheapest.
I too am considering this filter for a future 55g cichlid tank. What is the flow like inside the tank???. Also where did you buy it??
Old 04-29-2014, 02:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

The fx 6 is the new version of the fx5, some of the spares are the same, the sponges and some other bits.

I've been running a pair of fx5 now for maybe 6 years. They haven't let me down yet.

(If you switch it off and it won't restart pumping, it's the impeller that needs cleaning, usually mine last 15 months before seizure (test result based on my tank) so an annual clean is the norm)

When mine break, this is the upgrade!
J.Mcpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Great Filter!

The FX6 is a great filter for a large tank, I have two and am very happy with then. The flow rate is high, not as high as advertised but high enough to create some serious current. The only complaint I have regards the weight. It is a monster and carrying it to the kitchen to clean it is a challenge for a 69 year old. Good luck with yours.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

No disadvantages except the size as it is a beast! Make sure you have room for it in your stand (y) i made that mistake haha
Old 05-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

According to reviews that I have read: Fluval, Eheim, and Rena are the top 3 canister filters.
dcutl002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:18 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I too am in the market for an fx6 canister for a 125 gallon long. I am also considering getting three or four Aquaclear 110 hang on back filters in place of one fx6. My reasoning is that three AC110 will push more gallons per hour than one fx6. Also the AC110 may be easier to maintain (lighter weight, can clean one filter at a time for maximum retention of biological filtration during maintenance). Also there are many prefilter attachments for AC110 so fry dont get sucked into filter. With a single intake for fx6, any prefilter sponge or stainer will get clogged too fast. Finally, in the event of filter failure 8 or whatever number of years from now, fish in an fx6-only tank will die whereas fish in a tank with three or four AC110 will survive due to redundant devices. I work 10+ hours a day and can't always watch the tank. Any thoughts?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 05-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcham View Post
I too am in the market for an fx6 canister for a 125 gallon long. I am also considering getting three or four Aquaclear 110 hang on back filters in place of one fx6. My reasoning is that three AC110 will push more gallons per hour than one fx6. Also the AC110 may be easier to maintain (lighter weight, can clean one filter at a time for maximum retention of biological filtration during maintenance). Also there are many prefilter attachments for AC110 so fry dont get sucked into filter. With a single intake for fx6, any prefilter sponge or stainer will get clogged too fast. Finally, in the event of filter failure 8 or whatever number of years from now, fish in an fx6-only tank will die whereas fish in a tank with three or four AC110 will survive due to redundant devices. I work 10+ hours a day and can't always watch the tank. Any thoughts?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I think this is a very good idea. You have addressed the pros and cons of both. Personally the issue I would have is all the intakes but that's just me and it's only cosmetic.

Tags
fluval, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com