Opinions on the Fluval FX6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xlarronlx

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, ive decided to purchase the fx6 this weekend and would like to know what you guys think of it, preferably someone who is using one atm or have had one in the past?

I will be using the fx6 as my primary filter for my mbuna tank (55g) and i know this is overkill but within a month or so my 5ft tank will arrive ready for my cichlids to go in there with the fx6 and a 405 :) my 55g will hopefully be used as my first marine, but thats off-topic.

FX6... Opinions guys?

:thanks:

Quality filter mate. I've had mine running now for a couple of weeks. Best on the market for sure. Just not the cheapest.

Quality filter mate. I've had mine running now for a couple of weeks. Best on the market for sure. Just not the cheapest.
I too am considering this filter for a future 55g cichlid tank. What is the flow like inside the tank???. Also where did you buy it??

The fx 6 is the new version of the fx5, some of the spares are the same, the sponges and some other bits.

I've been running a pair of fx5 now for maybe 6 years. They haven't let me down yet.

(If you switch it off and it won't restart pumping, it's the impeller that needs cleaning, usually mine last 15 months before seizure (test result based on my tank) so an annual clean is the norm)

When mine break, this is the upgrade!

Great Filter!

The FX6 is a great filter for a large tank, I have two and am very happy with then. The flow rate is high, not as high as advertised but high enough to create some serious current. The only complaint I have regards the weight. It is a monster and carrying it to the kitchen to clean it is a challenge for a 69 year old. Good luck with yours.

No disadvantages except the size as it is a beast! Make sure you have room for it in your stand (y) i made that mistake haha

I too am in the market for an fx6 canister for a 125 gallon long. I am also considering getting three or four Aquaclear 110 hang on back filters in place of one fx6. My reasoning is that three AC110 will push more gallons per hour than one fx6. Also the AC110 may be easier to maintain (lighter weight, can clean one filter at a time for maximum retention of biological filtration during maintenance). Also there are many prefilter attachments for AC110 so fry dont get sucked into filter. With a single intake for fx6, any prefilter sponge or stainer will get clogged too fast. Finally, in the event of filter failure 8 or whatever number of years from now, fish in an fx6-only tank will die whereas fish in a tank with three or four AC110 will survive due to redundant devices. I work 10+ hours a day and can't always watch the tank. Any thoughts?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I too am in the market for an fx6 canister for a 125 gallon long. I am also considering getting three or four Aquaclear 110 hang on back filters in place of one fx6. My reasoning is that three AC110 will push more gallons per hour than one fx6. Also the AC110 may be easier to maintain (lighter weight, can clean one filter at a time for maximum retention of biological filtration during maintenance). Also there are many prefilter attachments for AC110 so fry dont get sucked into filter. With a single intake for fx6, any prefilter sponge or stainer will get clogged too fast. Finally, in the event of filter failure 8 or whatever number of years from now, fish in an fx6-only tank will die whereas fish in a tank with three or four AC110 will survive due to redundant devices. I work 10+ hours a day and can't always watch the tank. Any thoughts?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I think this is a very good idea. You have addressed the pros and cons of both. Personally the issue I would have is all the intakes but that's just me and it's only cosmetic.

Good idea.

Your logic is sound. If you have room for the hang on the tank filters. Take a look at the Fluval C4, I'm really like the looks of it.

After reading your post I'd consider doing the same thing. I was uncomfortable with all my eggs in one basket which is why I bought the second one. Your plan avoids that problem. It is also less expensive and much easier to maintain. I'm still looking for a pre filter to use as a baby saver.The FX6 is huge and very heavy. They also just about fill my cabinet.

If I could do it over I'd do it your way. Wish I'd seen your post sooner. Good luck.

Multi-AC110 versus Single-Fx6

To me, the drawbacks of using multiple AC110 are:
1. Clutter of intake tubes (there will be 3 intake tubes if I get three AC110's). Basically, 3 intake tubes will look uglier than the 1 intake tube of Fx6.
2. Must have empty space between aquarium and wall so the hang on back filter can fit. Can also mount 2 filters on each side of the 125 gallon tank, but that would look ugly and circulation reduced in center of tank.
3. Noise - 3x AC110 will make more splashing noise than 1x Fx6. The motor noise for either setup is negligible compared to splash noise.
4. Lower biological volume than Fx6. The Fx6 has an impressive biological filter volume of 1.5 gallons. Three AC110's can easily match or exceed this if you replace the carbon bag with a second sponge and also use a prefilter sponge.

The advantages to having 3x AC110 filters are:
1. Improved water circulation within each section of a 125 gallon long tank.
2. Power consumption - Fx6 uses 43 watts versus each AC110 uses 14 watts. So three AC110 will need same power as Fx6, but AC110 setup will have almost TRIPLE the gallons per hour (563 gph for Fx6 vs 1500 gph for 3xAC110).
3. Lower chance for prefilter to get clogged due to 3x more mechanical surface area (on prefilter) when using 3 prefilters instead of just 1 prefilter. Less frequent clogs means less maintenance.
4. When one AC110 filter goes out of order, two AC110 filters continue to run and your fish will live. If a single Fx6 goes out of order several years from now, your fish may die within 4 to 6 hours while you are away at work.
5. Increased mechanical surface volume if you place a prefilter sponge (with very coarse pores) on each of the 3 intake tubes. Additionally, food bits that get caught on the prefilter sponge will still be eaten by fish, whereas food that enters filter chamber will just rot and produce ammonia with no benefit to the fish. I highly recommend this prefilter from Amazon - it fits most HOB and canister intakes using adapters (all included). I have it on my AC50, AC70, AC110. The size specs are wrong on Amazon, it's really 3 inches diameter and 4 inch length for the sponge (not 1x1x1 inch). My only complaint is that the connector pipes are made of brittle plastic that will probably shatter if dropped on the floor:
Amazon.com : Filter-Max III Prefilter : Aquarium Prefilters : Pet Supplies

I have looked long and hard at the Fluval C3/C4 series which basically is a redesigned version of the AquaClears (which Fluval also owns). It has been confirmed by dozens of Amazon verified owners that the C3/C4 impeller chamber is more tightly-fitted than the AquaClears, causing sludge to jam the impeller very often, requiring impeller clean-up every 2 to 3 months, depending on bioload. This can happen to AquaClear filters too, but more like every 16 to 18 months in my experience. For this reason alone, I will stick with AquaClears for now.

If someone can convince me that canister technology is vastly superior to HOB in terms of ease of maintenance, superior biological/mechanical filtration, or oxygenation, then I would buy two or three Fluval 406 instead of just one Fx6.

I have the Fluval FX6 it's the best canister filter I've ever owned I've been in this hobby off and on for over 40 years. Buy the FX6 you won't be sorry trust me.

Back
Top Bottom