Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance

There is water, but the resistance is 0. Meaning no objects (decor) impeding flow.

Canisters are rated at max GPH, and they do not typically run at max GPH. There is a reduction in performance after the first few months. The distance from the canister and edge of the tank will also make a difference in the GPH due to gravity. Higher means less flow since the pump does not work harder. The intake and outtake tubes will also make a slight difference in the GPH.
Well see this makes more sense, however, I don't really agree with decorations making a difference. But the rest of your information is very much true.

I think the bottom line here we are all expressing is you can never have to much.

I own a 55 gallon and have a canister and 2 aquaclears on back. Works great. Tons of water movement. Some fish like to swim against the canister and some like to swim against the aquaclear.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hholly View Post
What light fixture does everyone recommend for growing plants with no CO2?

Thanks y'all!
I recommend T5HO lights. For plants you want plant bulbs in the 6500K range for optimum photosynthesis. The wattage/lumens needed will depend on what plants you want to grow. I highly recommend researching the plants you want and buy accordingly. Nothing is more frustrating than shelling out your $$$ to find out later that you need something more. Lighting is one of the most expensive parts of this hobby, so do your research first. here is a site that has some info like you will need. It tells you about the plants plus what their needs are.

Aquarium plants, and aquascape plant packages

Look around your local lfs's and see what is available regularly and ask if they can order something specific for you, just in case you find something that you would really like.

Like most everything else in this hobby, my first advice is research, research, research. Then you can make an informed decision. Believe me, your wallet will be much happier.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:22 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_AF

I recommend T5HO lights. For plants you want plant bulbs in the 6500K range for optimum photosynthesis. The wattage/lumens needed will depend on what plants you want to grow. I highly recommend researching the plants you want and buy accordingly. Nothing is more frustrating than shelling out your $$$ to find out later that you need something more. Lighting is one of the most expensive parts of this hobby, so do your research first. here is a site that has some info like you will need. It tells you about the plants plus what their needs are.

Aquarium plants, and aquascape plant packages

Look around your local lfs's and see what is available regularly and ask if they can order something specific for you, just in case you find something that you would really like.

Like most everything else in this hobby, my first advice is research, research, research. Then you can make an informed decision. Believe me, your wallet will be much happier.
Ok great! I was confused because I had read that too much light is bad without CO2. I have already made the mistake of spending money on the wrong light. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hholly

Ok great! I was confused because I had read that too much light is bad without CO2. I have already made the mistake of spending money on the wrong light. Thanks for the info.
Remember any light has to be controlled meaning only on so many hours a day. I made the mistake of buying a light for plants but leaving it on to long. What will happen is you will develop brownish algae on your decor and what not.

Tags
hardware

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com