Opinions on this hardware please?...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hholly

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is for a 55 gal. tank.

Fluval 306 canister filter, price $110

Aqua-Glo fluorescent, 40w

Marineland Visitherm heater 250w

And would love suggestions for the quietest air pump available.

Thanks!

The 306 may not be enough flow. When they say rated for tanks up to 70g or 80g, they rate those things with an empty tank with 0 resistance. I usually cute their highest rating in half.

If you end up getting a canister, then just aim the outtake at the surface of the water. No need to spend more money for an air pump.

Heater ok
Lighting ok as long as its up to par for your intended purpose.

Ok, thanks. Those filter ratings mess me up. Why don't they put the true ratings on them in the first place? Lol.

Terrance said:
The 306 may not be enough flow. When they say rated for tanks up to 70g or 80g, they rate those things with an empty tank with 0 resistance. I usually cute their highest rating in half.

If you end up getting a canister, then just aim the outtake at the surface of the water. No need to spend more money for an air pump.

Heater ok
Lighting ok as long as its up to par for your intended purpose.

How do you know they rate canisters with no water? That really makes no sense.

Hholly said:
This is for a 55 gal. tank.

Fluval 306 canister filter, price $110

Aqua-Glo fluorescent, 40w

Marineland Visitherm heater 250w

And would love suggestions for the quietest air pump available.

Thanks!

You will be fine with all those. A 306 canister is plenty. Don't look at the tank size as much as the fog (gallons per hour) if I recall the 306 is 250 gph that's a lot of water movement. Also, it depends on how many trays you want for filtration. I think that filter usa great filter and plenty big enough for your 55 gallon.

The 306 is rated for 70 gallons and will filter approximately 200 gallons per hour. With your 55 thats nearly 4 full water cycles every hour. Whether or not this is adequate depends heavily on your bioload. If you are planning on goldfish or some other 'dirty' fish, this may not be enough. If you have a very light bioload, then it should suffice. Again, it depends on what you are wanting to put into the tank.

IMHO you can never have enough filtration so buy the biggest you can afford. Buying something at or close to its rating (and that is a MAXIMUM rating) makes it work hard to keep the tank clean. I would prefer to get something rated higher so it isnt taxed as much. It's kind of like trucks. If you buy one that will pull 10,000 pounds and you pull 9,000 pounds with it, the truck will do the work but it is straining to do so. If you used a truck rated to pull 15,000 pounds, it will do the job and not strain as hard to get the job done. Going bigger will also give you some leeway if you decide to upgrade the tank. I have a 305 I use on my 37g tank and I love it.

The lighting is the same way. Are you planning on putting live plants in the tank? What kind? Different plants require different levels of light. If your answer is no, then 40w is adequate. If you want plants (and I wholeheartedly recommend you do because it looks so nice) then you will need a better lighting fixture.

The heater is probably fine but I would prefer 2 smaller heaters on opposite sides of the tank for 2 reasons. It keeps the temperature more even across the tank plus it gives you some redundancy in case one of them fails.

Air pumps are not necessary as long as you have some surface water movement as described in an earlier post. However, if you want one purely for aesthetics, I use a Tetra Whisper. It is very quiet as long as it doesnt touch anything else. Its amazing how much noise a power cord can make lying against one of these... lol Just keep it isolated and it's very quiet.

Good luck!

Great! Thanks for all the replies! I think I'm revising my plan. I'm going with the 406. And I may just trade off this 55 and get a 75 instead. I will definitely get 2 heaters. What light fixture does everyone recommend for growing plants with no CO2?

Thanks y'all!

How do you know they rate canisters with no water? That really makes no sense.

There is water, but the resistance is 0. Meaning no objects (decor) impeding flow.

Canisters are rated at max GPH, and they do not typically run at max GPH. There is a reduction in performance after the first few months. The distance from the canister and edge of the tank will also make a difference in the GPH due to gravity. Higher means less flow since the pump does not work harder. The intake and outtake tubes will also make a slight difference in the GPH.

Hholly said:
Great! Thanks for all the replies! I think I'm revising my plan. I'm going with the 406. And I may just trade off this 55 and get a 75 instead. I will definitely get 2 heaters. What light fixture does everyone recommend for growing plants with no CO2?

Thanks y'all!

You can never have to much filtration. I like the Coralife light. It has a nice low profile, however, don't buy a bunch of plants as im not sure how they will do without co2. Also, you should probably get a canister and a hang on back filter so when you change one the other can handle the bioload. I use a canister strictly for bioload and an aquaclear hob for mechanical filtration. Works great.

Aquaclears are quite and inexpensive. That way you can still go with a 306 if you want and buy an aquaclear 70 for about 50 bucks. And the filter media are cheap.

Anyway good luck.

Terrance said:
There is water, but the resistance is 0. Meaning no objects (decor) impeding flow.

Canisters are rated at max GPH, and they do not typically run at max GPH. There is a reduction in performance after the first few months. The distance from the canister and edge of the tank will also make a difference in the GPH due to gravity. Higher means less flow since the pump does not work harder. The intake and outtake tubes will also make a slight difference in the GPH.

Well see this makes more sense, however, I don't really agree with decorations making a difference. But the rest of your information is very much true.

I think the bottom line here we are all expressing is you can never have to much.

I own a 55 gallon and have a canister and 2 aquaclears on back. Works great. Tons of water movement. Some fish like to swim against the canister and some like to swim against the aquaclear.

What light fixture does everyone recommend for growing plants with no CO2?

Thanks y'all!

I recommend T5HO lights. For plants you want plant bulbs in the 6500K range for optimum photosynthesis. The wattage/lumens needed will depend on what plants you want to grow. I highly recommend researching the plants you want and buy accordingly. Nothing is more frustrating than shelling out your $$$ to find out later that you need something more. Lighting is one of the most expensive parts of this hobby, so do your research first. here is a site that has some info like you will need. It tells you about the plants plus what their needs are.

Aquarium plants, and aquascape plant packages

Look around your local lfs's and see what is available regularly and ask if they can order something specific for you, just in case you find something that you would really like.

Like most everything else in this hobby, my first advice is research, research, research. Then you can make an informed decision. Believe me, your wallet will be much happier.

Retired_AF said:
I recommend T5HO lights. For plants you want plant bulbs in the 6500K range for optimum photosynthesis. The wattage/lumens needed will depend on what plants you want to grow. I highly recommend researching the plants you want and buy accordingly. Nothing is more frustrating than shelling out your $$$ to find out later that you need something more. Lighting is one of the most expensive parts of this hobby, so do your research first. here is a site that has some info like you will need. It tells you about the plants plus what their needs are.

Aquarium plants, and aquascape plant packages

Look around your local lfs's and see what is available regularly and ask if they can order something specific for you, just in case you find something that you would really like.

Like most everything else in this hobby, my first advice is research, research, research. Then you can make an informed decision. Believe me, your wallet will be much happier.

Ok great! I was confused because I had read that too much light is bad without CO2. I have already made the mistake of spending money on the wrong light. Thanks for the info.

Hholly said:
Ok great! I was confused because I had read that too much light is bad without CO2. I have already made the mistake of spending money on the wrong light. Thanks for the info.

Remember any light has to be controlled meaning only on so many hours a day. I made the mistake of buying a light for plants but leaving it on to long. What will happen is you will develop brownish algae on your decor and what not.

Back
Top Bottom