Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Opinions on upgrading bio-media needed

Currently I have the standard AC Biomax ceramic rings in my filters and was considering "upgrading" them to Eheim Substrat Pro biomedia balls to increase biological capacity for bacteria to live in my filters.

Any experience, comments, or alternate suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Old 03-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #2

I would upgrade to sachem matrix, it has more bioavailable surface area than fluval or eheim's biomedias. It may or may not also allow for denitrification.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Actually Biomax has a much higher level than Matrix.

Eheim EHFISUBSTRAT with over 450 m2 per liter = 4842 sq. ft. of surface area per liter.

Seachem Matrix™ provides over 160,000 cm2 per liter = 170 sq. ft. of surface area per liter.

Hagan Biomax each ceramic ring contains at least 100 square feet of surface area x approx 66 rings per liter = 6600 sq. ft. of surface area per liter. Link c. Each 17.63 oz box contains approximately 100 ceramic cylinders.

Off each website.

HUKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the info!

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App
Old 03-27-2011, 07:21 PM   #5

I said bioavailable. Matrix does not have the highest actual surface area but the pores and channels in the others are so small that any biofilm (the bacteria you want) will actually block off a massive amount of that surface area, cutting the bioavailable surface area to below that of matrix. This means although they do have more surface area they cannot support as much nitrifying bacteria, which is your actual goal.

Seachem claims that matrix allows for denitrifying bacteria that convert nitrate to nitrogen gas, live in live rock. Some people do not see this their aquariums, others do.

Tags
bio, media, upgrading

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com