Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2014, 01:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with Paul, excellent advice. I can't really add much to that but another option is adding a relatively cheap but decent HOB and just fill it with filter floss. I do this and just swap out the floss each week. Keeps the water crystal clear.
The Purigen, I am a big fan and I also plan a Fluval C series filter for my 15g soon, (I'll be giving you a shout when I get it Paul!!).

Old 01-17-2014, 02:49 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

Thx Mr Fisher and Ian.

Rak9378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:02 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have a Fluval 406 & a c4 that I run on a 75 gal with lots of rock structures. I originally just had the 406 and recently added the c4 due to flow/circulation issues with the large rocks. Personally I found this to be a great addition.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:16 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewezel View Post
I have a Fluval 406 & a c4 that I run on a 75 gal with lots of rock structures. I originally just had the 406 and recently added the c4 due to flow/circulation issues with the large rocks. Personally I found this to be a great addition.

Thanks! That's a helpful perspective! What media do you keep in the 406?
Old 01-17-2014, 06:23 PM   #15

At the time I'm using biomax. I have two trays of it (4 compartments). I've been thinking of replacing a tray with the plastic mesh pot scrubbies but haven't yet. The c4 has it's own small bio media and a pretty cool small trickle chamber.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:02 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

Thx Mike.

So redirecting the outflow seems to have helped a bit. But there are still some particles visible. I noticed that it seems to be concentrated in the top half of the tank so I'm thinking my rock wall is in fact messing with the flow. I ordered the Fluval Polishing pads and Purigen...they will be here Sunday...so I will see if that makes a difference. If not it looks like I will be adding a C4.

How wide would you guys say it is?
Old 01-17-2014, 09:55 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rak9378 View Post
Thx Mike.

So redirecting the outflow seems to have helped a bit. But there are still some particles visible. I noticed that it seems to be concentrated in the top half of the tank so I'm thinking my rock wall is in fact messing with the flow. I ordered the Fluval Polishing pads and Purigen...they will be here Sunday...so I will see if that makes a difference. If not it looks like I will be adding a C4.

How wide would you guys say it is?
the purigen bag is around 3X5 or so. I run a sponge, purigen and biomax in an AC HOB and the water is crystal clear. Be advised it takes a couple of days to getthat fish in air look.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:10 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fisher View Post
the purigen bag is around 3X5 or so. I run a sponge, purigen and biomax in an AC HOB and the water is crystal clear. Be advised it takes a couple of days to getthat fish in air look.
Thx Mr Fisher but I was actually asking about the width of the c4. Which I believe is a little over 8"
Old 01-18-2014, 01:46 AM   #19

Just measured. 9 3/8" wide, 5" deep, which 3 1/2" is off the back of the tank.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:22 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Aesthetics & "fit" of C3 and C4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewezel View Post
Just measured. 9 3/8" wide, 5" deep, which 3 1/2" is off the back of the tank.
You may want to re-measure, Mike !!!!!
First, here is a picture of the C3 and a C4 running side by side. I took this when I ran both of them next to each other on my 29 gallon tank before moving the C3 to my 38 gallon tank.

http://s948.photobucket.com/user/Pau...cecb8.jpg.html

The C4 measures 8 and 5/16" along the back of the tank.
The C3 runs just a tad over 7" along the back of the tank.

The top back of the C4 is 2 and 1/2" above the rim of the tank.
The top back of the C3 is just under 2" above the rim of the thank.

I have an Aqueon brand 38 gallon tank that sits on a stand against a wall in the living room. The rim is 3 & 3/4 from the wall. The glass is 3 & 7/8 inches from the wall. I tried to fit the C4 that is now on my 29 gallon on the 38 gallon but it would have made an ever so slight indentation in the wall if I tried to cram it in there so I ordered a second C3 rather than a C4.

In the end, I like having the twin C3's next to each other for "good looks." But really no big deal. Though the cost of the C3 and C4 were about equal due to the $7 extension tube needed on the C3, I just didn't want to tear down the tank to move it 1/4 inch.

The "factory" mechanical debris reducing and polishing pad are one unit. On the C3 it measures just under 5" x 5" or just under 25 square inches. On the C4, it measures just over 5 & 1/2" x 6 & 1/4 inches or just about 35 square inches.

I don't use the factory media. The factory polishing pad is more like 150 microns and just doesn't go "all the way" for "diamond studded" clarity of the water. Accordingly, I use cut to fit Acurel Debris reducing pad + AquaticLife 100 Micron Non-Woven Filter (polishing) pad for "canister style" results. The depth of the two pads fits perfectly into the slot of the one "factory" poly/fiber pad.

Many people say you can just use floss in an aqua clear and get crystal water with that "fish swimming in air" look. That is actually correct .... but there is clearly a step above that. When I had only the C3 & AquaClear 50 with floss running next to each other, the water lost its "edge" in a few days from when I removed the Aqua-Tech 30-60. As a result, I had to run the Aqua-Tech (temporarily on the front of the tank) ...... so the water was flowing about 600 gph of flow in my tanks just to feed my obsession with having "conversation piece" sparkling clear aquarium water. Two C3's in tandem handle it well..... The AC/50 is running on 1/3 flow just for BB & backup.

Tags
filtration

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com