Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-19-2014, 11:03 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
I had a U2 Fluval on my 12g and I thought they were such a pain to clean. Every time you need to clean them, you remove the pads and all the gunk falls into the tank, making a mess. So frustrating, plus they take up a LOT of room and imo are unsightly. As Paul said it's your call but I would go with a smaller HOB and use floss only in it or a circulation pump.....

I've been reading up on internal filters and that seems to be one of the biggest complaints. I wasn't too worried about aesthetics because I could hide it behind my rock wall. But I think I'm going to give a circulation pump a try. Thx for your feedback.

Rak9378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:12 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rak9378 View Post
I've been reading up on internal filters and that seems to be one of the biggest complaints. I wasn't too worried about aesthetics because I could hide it behind my rock wall. But I think I'm going to give a circulation pump a try. Thx for your feedback.
Yeah, go with the pump...

Old 04-18-2014, 11:56 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Rak ..... how goes it ?????

based on your post #33 here:

Aquascape Advice

It looks like your tank has cleared up nicely. Did you end up going with an internal filter?

btw: nice job with the java fern. I tried the rubber band trick with some java moss on dritwood so I know what that's like.

You sure have a talent for aqua-scapes !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-18-2014, 01:04 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

Hey Paul,
Redirecting the outflow has definitely helped. I haven't added any additional filtration at this point but I might at some point. I also realized I need to give the outflow tube a really good cleaning. I think there is a lot of junk in the tube and I'm sure cleaning it out will help out as well. Finally, I also realized that a part of the problem is due to my BN Pleco. He loves rasping on the driftwood and that puts a lot of particles in the water! He is lucky he is cute!!

Thanks for the nice compliments!!
Rak9378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:53 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I'm running 2 for a 65 gallon saltwater tank and it's great may be u need some more filtration.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 07-29-2014, 11:21 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1792 View Post
I personally am obsessed with getting my water crystal clear and polished so I though I'd chime in here even though I don't own a canister.

I assume you want water that looks like this:

Crystal Clear Water in Aquarium Tanks - YouTube

or

How to get crystal clear aquarium water - YouTube

After my "pursuit for perfection," using HOB's, I found it could only be achieved (at least close) after making sure ALL water in the tank passes through 100 micron polishing pad (as well as Seachem Purigen for chemical filtration):

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Paul1792's Album: Paul1792's 38 gallon - Picture

After downloading the owners manual to your filter, it looks very capable of excellent filtration. I believe that your problem is caused by either or both of the following issues:

1) water is bypassing the 100 micron polishing pads in the filter

and/or

2) the fact that your tank is "heavily planted" is restricting the flow of debris laden water to the intake on your (relatively) large tank (I think this is the problem).

If you are sure it's not #1, you could always try this:

Aquarium Filters & Filtration: Fluval Multi-Stage Series Water Polishing Pads

which gets you down to 60 microns but is labeled "not for continuous use."

or putting on a pre-filter - "filter sock" on your intake

Particulates in the the tank - Page 2

However, If you are certain there is no bypass in your filter, I'd suggest adding an HOB with the intake at the opposite end from the intake on your canister and making sure all water passes through 100 micron polishing pads. Specifically, I'd recommend a Fluval C4. Although a C3 would do it, the C3 intake only goes half way to the bottom of the tank so you have to buy a $7 extension. If you're going to do that, however, you might as well upgrade to C4 and run it at lower volume for a few bucks more. Note .... before giving myself a nice filter laden Christmas present .... I used a cheap walmart aqua-tech stuffed with custom media including 100 micron filter pads ..... and even got crystal clear water with that.

[Note: I just had a bad experience with aqua clear 50 running side by side with C3 ..... the factory media did not cut it. My C4 on my 29 gallon keeps water perfect ... so I got a second C3 to run on my 38 gallon. I use aquatic life 100 micron non-woven polishing pads in my HOB's.]

Nice it's really clean

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tags
filtration

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com