Orbit Marine vs. Orbit Marine Pro on 12G or ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Well looking at one of these probably refurbished.

Difference at $75 for the regular one with a pro ramp timer and anywhere 200-250 for the PRO?

I won't pay that high 250 / price for the PRO. Just not in my budget.

So on the lower end refurb price- not usually available but I can wait for awhile.

IS it worth it for the pro for such a small tank 18 wide (the 18"-24" light)?

What differences are the biggest selling point (what I understand are the Pro timer and the **RBG coloring LEDs)?

**Edit correction: Pro is not RBG it is warm white cool white and magenta with ultra violet, deep blue and royal blue.

If it is the timer capability then the ones offered with a PRO timer might be a good option.

The option to have an automatic timer situation is very attractive and a feature I would like to have. Any other ideas for options???

Last edited:
What's your overall goal for this tank?

For my tank the orbit marine wasn't anywhere near powerful enough sitting just above the waterline. But I have a 2ft deep tank. It kept my corals alive but didn't do much else even for higher placed corals. For a 12gal though it could be a much different story. But I think the orbit marine uses pretty low power LEDs. Which holds it back a lot.

I will say the light is very well made and after some reading very easy to use. I love all of the features and effects it has. I've moved over to black box Chinese leds and they are doing great. They don't have any bells and whistles though and I'm going to add a t5 retrofit soon for more even spread and color.

I don't know anything about the light in the video you posted. It looks nice but it's impossible to say what it could do without looking at the specs. And with any of these cheaper LED box units you run risk of it possibly dying on you well before a higher end fixture would.

I've looked at a lot of the reef radiance box LEDs. I reaaaaallly want to replace mine with theirs. If you are still looking around then check out some of the LEDs they have.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks.

The 12G either the Mr. Aqua or unknown brand low iron glass tank (presently has a cracked / broken bottom in need of repair) have a depth of only 12" minus the sand say 10"-9" deep.

I have a little Fluval Marine nano I am using on the 6.6G Edge right now. Previously had used it on the broken low iron tank and before that had just used 1 or 2 Aqueon 50/50 compact CFL (which did a good job for a little tank)

The Fluval Marine nano didn't have enough spread to really cover the edges of just a 17-18" wide tank.

Well a year later I wanted to revisit this as finally I have the tank set up to use a new light. I can get the regular Orbit for ~$85. and it will give me 70-80 PAR at around 10-11" For the 18-24" unit. Comes with the controller. 120 degree spread.
http://www.aquacave.com/manuals/Orbit_Marine_Light_Specifications.pdf

Any one have any other better suggetions for under $100 shipped

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom