Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-14-2005, 03:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Orbit PowerCompact Light

Anybody use this light fixture. I like the way it stands above the tank? Do you recommend it or not? Also do you have alot of evaporation with no glass lid.

Old 04-14-2005, 03:53 PM   #2

I have that fixture in a 36" and I like it. It sits about the tank 4 or 5 " and it doesn't have a heat build-up although the cooling fan is a little noisy. I have a lot of evaporation in my tank. About a gallon every 3 or 4 days.

New at this, but learning everyday.
65 gal saltwater
1 clown ; 1 orange spot goby ; Firefish ; Lawnmower Blenny ; Royal Gramma ; Yellow Watchman Goby ; 2 Electric Blue Hermit Crabs ; 6 Scarlet Leg Crabs ;
60lbs live rock
2 peppermint shrimp
40 gal FW Community Tank
2 neon tetras ; 1 zebra ; 2 catfish
Red Turq Discus
KenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 04:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have the coralife fixture and with the legs attached it sits about 4 inches up as well. The fans are quite and the light is great. I have heard conflicting things about the Orbit fixture. Quality and customer service both being concerns.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 07:06 PM   #4

Another difference is the moon lights

Daylight and actinics look the same as they both can use the same square pinned compacts I believe. The LEDs are different however.

I would like to see a pic of a tank with the white LED moonlights of the Orbit.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Daylight and actinics look the same as they both can use the same square pinned compacts I believe.

??? How do they look the same? I don't understand your statement.

I have a 48 inch fixture and I am farely happy with it. It comes with the fan hooked up to the daylights so it runs on actinics with no cooling. This is fine since the real heat comes from both bulbs running.

I am not so happy with the reflector. when you look from the side the back half of my tank looks green, and the front half looks more blue. I am also running the standard strip light with the 50/50, It makes the daylight transition less harsh, and gets rid of the more blue light at the front of the tank.

Quote:
I would like to see a pic of a tank with the white LED moonlights of the Orbit.
I would take a picture of my tank for ya, but I use a lunar tracker to simulate the moon light and right now it is barely lit at night. For some reason I can't turn the light on full blast(full moon) the switch stopped working. I may have messed something up when I changed the battery.

Tags
light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com