Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Hardridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 410
ORP

Was running a Berlin skimmer rated for 250g on my 80 and my ORP was 400 to 410 with ozone. The skimmer went out and I got a used one from my LFS he's great by the way always has used reactors pumps, anythg u need. Anyway I one called fathom water flow rated at 450 to 550. My ORP is always between 415 and 435 now and ozone never comes on. Is this possible? Skimmer is obviously skimmer way more effectively u can see it. I cleaned my probe and it is fairly new so I don't thk it needs calibrating yet. Any ideas?
__________________

__________________
Hardridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin
 
melosu58's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 38,249
Moved to General Hardware and equipment discussion.
__________________

__________________

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank


AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
SW 20 & Over Club
 
ccCapt's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northeast PA
Posts: 5,362
Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
My ORP is always between 415 and 435 now and ozone never comes on. Is this possible?
No. Have you calibrated the sensor on your Ozone controller?
__________________
/Larry
125g reef
See My Tank Info
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Hardridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt
No. Have you calibrated the sensor on your Ozone controller?
The probe is only 6weeks old it came calibrated at 400
__________________
Hardridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:38 AM   #5
SW 20 & Over Club
 
ccCapt's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northeast PA
Posts: 5,362
Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 3: Changes in a Reef Aquarium upon Initiating Ozone by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
Here are some examples of apparent ORP measurement complications:
1. After using ozone for several weeks in my system, the ORP was running in the 300-330 mv range, depending on the pH and whether I had recently cleaned the skimmer. Removal of the probe for calibration with a commercial 400 mV fluid (American Marine/Pinpoint) always showed about 410 mV after 30-60 minutes, which I decided was close enough.
Then the probe was used to measure the highly oxidizing fluid exiting the ozone reaction chamber (680 mV) for 24 hours. Upon returning the probe to the aquarium, the ORP was reading only 276 mV, and stayed at about that level for several days.
Putting it back into another 400 mV calibration pack showed the ORP still to be about 410 mV, as before. Then returning the probe to the aquarium gave an ORP that slowly rose, and after 24 hours was again above 300 mV.
I do not believe that the aquarium's ORP happened to be unusually low right after exposing the probe to the highly oxidizing fluid. I do believe that ORP probes can retain a memory of what they have been exposed to, which is exerted through changes in the organic materials bound to the probe's surface. Exposure to different solutions, even calibration solutions, can alter the nature of these bound organics in a way that can impact the ORP that is measured for days after the initial exposure.
2. Many aquarists find that ORP rises over many days to weeks as the probe sits in their aquarium water. This rise may be due to algae growing on it, releasing O2 and other oxidizing species very near the metal tip. These aquarists find that gently cleaning the ORP probe often causes the value to drop back to earlier levels. I have not noticed this effect, but my ORP probe is kept in a totally dark sump.
__________________
/Larry
125g reef
See My Tank Info
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Hardridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt
Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 3: Changes in a Reef Aquarium upon Initiating Ozone by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
Here are some examples of apparent ORP measurement complications:
1. After using ozone for several weeks in my system, the ORP was running in the 300-330 mv range, depending on the pH and whether I had recently cleaned the skimmer. Removal of the probe for calibration with a commercial 400 mV fluid (American Marine/Pinpoint) always showed about 410 mV after 30-60 minutes, which I decided was close enough.
Then the probe was used to measure the highly oxidizing fluid exiting the ozone reaction chamber (680 mV) for 24 hours. Upon returning the probe to the aquarium, the ORP was reading only 276 mV, and stayed at about that level for several days.
Putting it back into another 400 mV calibration pack showed the ORP still to be about 410 mV, as before. Then returning the probe to the aquarium gave an ORP that slowly rose, and after 24 hours was again above 300 mV.
I do not believe that the aquarium's ORP happened to be unusually low right after exposing the probe to the highly oxidizing fluid. I do believe that ORP probes can retain a memory of what they have been exposed to, which is exerted through changes in the organic materials bound to the probe's surface. Exposure to different solutions, even calibration solutions, can alter the nature of these bound organics in a way that can impact the ORP that is measured for days after the initial exposure.
2. Many aquarists find that ORP rises over many days to weeks as the probe sits in their aquarium water. This rise may be due to algae growing on it, releasing O2 and other oxidizing species very near the metal tip. These aquarists find that gently cleaning the ORP probe often causes the value to drop back to earlier levels. I have not noticed this effect, but my ORP probe is kept in a totally dark sump.
Thx for ur help I have learned so much from links u have sent me. I too keep my probe in dark sump. What the article said is exactly what happened. My ORP drop to below 200. This morning it was 302. What do u thk of ozone use. When was off my skimmer was skimmer dark dirty foam. When it's on it's white or light brown. So what is btr or does it make a diff. Thx again for ur help
__________________
Hardridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Hardridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardridge

Thx for ur help I have learned so much from links u have sent me. I too keep my probe in dark sump. What the article said is exactly what happened. My ORP drop to below 200. This morning it was 302. What do u thk of ozone use. When was off my skimmer was skimmer dark dirty foam. When it's on it's white or light brown. So what is btr or does it make a diff. Thx again for ur help
What are good ORP levels to you?
__________________

__________________
Hardridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.