Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2010, 02:26 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to maxima423
10g starter kits are around 20$ like krap101 said, that is better than all your tanks combined, it comes with a filter as well

Old 08-31-2010, 10:29 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular

Question: Do most aquarium stores tell customers about magnetic fields generated from the filters? And do most filters come with a warning label about electromagnetic radiation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krap101 View Post
I'm unsure of where you are, but you can get 10 gallon tanks for around 15$ and 20 gallon tanks for maybe 35, but YOU are more important than the fish, no matter what anyone says.
Well, glass and acrylic glass here are more expensive than those sold in the USA. So, it really depends on the seller.

Also, we are having two typhoons in Taiwan. I can't go out due to the weather. I'll see what I can do to purchase a new one, if it's cheap enough.

And I may be more important than the fish, my Mom is more important than me, as she watches over my money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxima423 View Post
10g starter kits are around 20$ like krap101 said, that is better than all your tanks combined, it comes with a filter as well
Thanks, I'll try finding one at the last local aquarium store, once both typhoons are out of the way.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:32 AM   #23
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temp View Post
Question: Do most aquarium stores tell customers about magnetic fields generated from the filters? And do most filters come with a warning label about electromagnetic radiation?
I doubt most LFS owners would even mention anything about it. They probably don't know about it or figure it is negligible amounts anyways. You can always read the manual on your filter to see if there is a warning, but I doubt it.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:33 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Temp no they dont, I know here in american we have UL which test stuff like this to underwrite for insurance reasons/health reasons ect.
If its electrical in america it has a UL stamping on it to show its within their requirements.

I took an EMF meter to both my wet/dry's last night(they got the pumps and heaters in them) I was barely getting a reading.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:24 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

Barely? That's really unexpected. I don't know what to say. This is probably one of the most unusual thing I have ever encountered in my life.

I'm just spooked, you know? That, if I think of this:

Filters made outside of our country barely get any EMF readings, while some of our own filters get them.

It's hard to believe.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:54 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temp View Post

Filters made outside of our country barely get any EMF readings, while some of our own filters get them.

It's hard to believe.
I have a hunch you two are measuring different things, or at different levels. It all depends on the sensitivity of the measuring equipment.

There is really no reason different makes of water pumps should have different levels of EMR - regardless of the quality of construction. In simple terms, all these filter pumps/powerheads consist of is a bunch of wire wrapped into a doughnut shape, with a propeller or paddle attached to a magnet inside that bunch of wires. There is no attempt to shield it or anything - it's just all enclosed in plastic. Some manufacturers might do a better job of encapsulating it so water doesn't get in, but that will have no effect on how much "radiation" it puts out.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:27 PM   #27
AA Team Emeritus

Without actual units from the electric co guy, we have no idea what he is measuring. Is he measuring a magnetic field? Well, that is present in all pumps, as that is basically an electro-magnet. At any rate, all wires gives off a magnetic field, I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you are putting the motor right next to your head .... Just keep it a few feet away from your head & you should be OK.

Incidentally, the chances of you getting anything from the EM field of a pump is likely less than that from a cell phone. The EM output of a cell phone is much higher than a electric wire, and even there, with people putting the cell phone right up to their heads all day, the evidence of it causing anything is equivocal.

Another issue with white devil's EMF measurement is that he is measuring the pump inside a sump. The pump is submerged in water & behind glass (unless he has an external pump.) The glass & water might attenuate the readings compared to a HOB filter which is right on the outside. Also, if the pump motor is in a metal casing rather than plastic, that would really alter the EM field.

If you are REALLY paranoid, you can build a Faraday cage.
Faraday cage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Basically, you wrap the equipment in a copper (or other conductive) mesh & that should isolate the EM field. But really, unless you are working with a few Teslas (like an MRI machine), that is really overkill. OTOH, it is an interesting science project ... might satisfy your mom & you can enter it in a science fair or something ...
Old 09-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Regular

Alright. Thanks again everyone. Appreciated the help.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Regular

Any electric item, especially one with a motor, will give off electromagnetic waves - after all, it's electric, right? The amount given off by a small filter motor is negligible compared to a TV set or computer or microwave. Your mom is being paranoid, not to mention ignorant. (By the way, you don't state your age, but if you are over 18 in most states your mom can't tell you to do anything, so stand up for yourself and tell Mommy to stop being controlling).
Old 09-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence View Post
Your mom is being paranoid, not to mention ignorant. (By the way, you don't state your age, but if you are over 18 in most states your mom can't tell you to do anything, so stand up for yourself and tell Mommy to stop being controlling).
Thats okay, we're all ignorant. If you think you're not then you don't know the definition of the word. Calling someone ignorant usually isn't helpful

Hey Temp . I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess NTD stands for New Taiwan Dollar, which would put you somewhere in or around Taiwan . If I'm wrong, then what does NTD stand for?

Just following along from Canada wishing you the best in your aquarium adventures.

Deep Seven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, water filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com