Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-30-2010, 01:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Our Power Company Says: Our Water Filter Can Give Off Electromagnetic Radiation.

It's not the radiation poisoning or anything, just electrical magnetic waves.

Our power company arrived today at 10:00 AM, and he was suppose to check on the TV cables, when he noticed there's a spike of electromagnetic radiation on his meter of some sort.

When he went to the source, he found out that our aquarium water filter produces 1000 (Unit). (Actually, I don't know the unit of measurement, but he told us the value is 1000.)

My mom is really concerned about EMR issues, and told me to turn off the aquarium water filter and leave it off. I am a bit worried about myself, as I had noticed my hairs are falling everywhere for the past 2 month. I sleep very close to our aquarium tank since the start of summer vacation from college.

So, I'm asking if any of you can measure your water filter and see if there are a lot of radiation coming from it. If any one of you says there isn't any radiation, I'm getting myself a newer filter. We don't have enough space to move the tank around to a different place.

Do water filters really give off electromagnetic radiation?

Can my fish get affected from electromagnetic radiation?

If all water filters have electromagnetic radiation, I'm going to try doing some house cleaning and start considering where I should put my tank at.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:10 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anything with magnets in it will give off "electromagnetic radiation." All water pumps work using magents, so any filter will give some type of reading of electromagnetic radiation.

Anything that provides electrical current will give off electromagnetic radiation. If the power company dude were to use that meter on your heaters while they were on, you'd probably think that 1000 reading was nothing. Heaters give off large amounts of electromagnetic radiation, compared to water pumps.

My point is... it's all relative. You are probably exposed to far more EMR in your everyday life than what comes from your aquarium.

If you're having health issues with regards to your hair falling out, I'd see your doctor, for sure. Definitely let him/her know about the aquarium, but I would be amazed if that was the problem.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I see. When telling this to Mom, she said, the minimum is 80. She said, we can use the filter, but we are not suppose to stay close to them when they are on.

This would lead me to think, Will turning the water filter off overnight affects my fish a lot?

And how far away from the water filter should I be, to stay under-exposed to the electromagnetic radiation?
Old 08-30-2010, 03:58 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If your hair is thinning, get thee to your doctor for blood tests; thyroid problems, for example, can cause hair loss. Then worry about EMR.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:35 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
I'm guessing a cathode ray tv would be much much worse.. Then the Microwave.. then a wireless router.. then 20 more things before the aquarium filter.. scratch that.. a couple thousand
Old 08-30-2010, 04:42 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to maxima423
i agree with the rest, watching TV, on the computer or laptop like right now when you are reading this is much worse than your filter, unless you are with your filter more than 18hrs a day =P

also i looked up your tanks....

1 Bowfront 1.2 Gallon Tank with 6 guppy fry. Natural Sunlight. 1 small hornwort. Nothing else.

1 cylinder 1.0 Gallon Tank with 14 guppies. Natural sunlight. Lots of hornwort, gravels, and poop.

1 Bowfront 5.5 Gallon Tank with 1 Common Goldfish. Not too much sunlight. Electrical filter. Nothing else.

unless you are missing a "0" on all of them, you are way over stocked on all your tanks, and "Electrical filter" doesnt help when we want to know how strong your filter actually is
Old 08-30-2010, 04:44 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
Stick a neodymium magnet under your pillow at night and see if the hair loss increases. Add fluorescent lights/ballast to the list...
Old 08-30-2010, 11:40 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temp View Post
I see. When telling this to Mom, she said, the minimum is 80. She said, we can use the filter, but we are not suppose to stay close to them when they are on.

This would lead me to think, Will turning the water filter off overnight affects my fish a lot?

And how far away from the water filter should I be, to stay under-exposed to the electromagnetic radiation?

80 what? Without units of measurement for that "80" or the original "1000" it's really pointless. Are the 80 and 1000 even the same unit of measure?

Regardless, sounds like you're in a situation that you don't have much control over, so what Mom says goes. Regardless, I'm not in to freshwater but would have to say that turning off the filter overnight wouldn't be the best thing in the world for them. Like others have said, seems like there's too many fish in there to start with, but that's a different issue!

How far away to stay? I think the only answer that really counts is "however far your Mom tells you." And get yourself to a doctor regarding that hair loss!
Old 08-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

EMR? its not nuclear it does not leak radiation.

Its EMF for electro-magnetic field.

Here is a WIKI on it just to put you and your housemates at ease.

Electromagnetic field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Electromagnetic Force and Its Effects on Humans

EMF Measurement and Health Risks

It makes you Really paranoid, sick feeling, light headed ect.
EMF is everywhere. He picked up on the filter because it is close and out in the open, Most EMF is read behind walls and such.

Yes your tanks are Way overstocked but turning off a filter at night will cause premature burn out along with very inadequate filtration. I do not suggest turning them off, maybe getting a larger tank for them all plus a very good filter.

here is another link on EMF.
How to make EMF Measurement Procedures - Electromagnetic Field Strength Surveys

There you go
EMR is a medical record thats electronic, there is no EMR reading or way to read radiation unless with a gamma meter or the like. I honestly dont believe EMR exists as electric radiation
Old 08-30-2010, 12:25 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

I'd be really curious about the units of measure too. Can't be talking amps, 80 amps you'd have more problems than hair loss. Doubt it would be volts either or your fish would be tweaking out (or you'd feel a shock). Could it be dBm or W/m2? They are the most common units of measurement for EMR meters.

Tags
filter, water filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com