outdoor pond filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so we moved into a house and the previous owners left an above ground pond on the back porch. It measures 52" long 36" wide and 20" deep so that is about 160 gallons. It doesn't have a filter. Just a pump hooked to a little fish fountain. So I am looking at pond filters and I realize a small pool filter is waaaay cheaper. Would this work or is it a completely ludicrous idea? Something like this :

http://www.amazon.com/Intex-58603E-...0W/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1336358559&sr=8-16

JMO, but I dont see why you couldnt use this. Its gph is more than sufficient to handle the size of your pond. I have a bigger version of this one & have been using it to pump out the water on my pond project. But, what I will warn you about is this filter is meant to work below the water line. It will not pump above the water line without suffcient (and pain in the butt) priming though once it gets started, it works pretty well. What you may want to look into is a DIY filter- theres a bunch of U-Tube videos on the how-to mechanics of making one inexpensively using a trash can. :)

JMO, but I dont see why you couldnt use this. Its gph is more than sufficient to handle the size of your pond. I have a bigger version of this one & have been using it to pump out the water on my pond project. But, what I will warn you about is this filter is meant to work below the water line. It will not pump above the water line without suffcient (and pain in the butt) priming though once it gets started, it works pretty well. What you may want to look into is a DIY filter- theres a bunch of U-Tube videos on the how-to mechanics of making one inexpensively using a trash can. :)
Thanks I will look into it.

Back
Top Bottom