Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shon View Post
Thank you, Not to sound ignorant but do I take the filter all the way apart and submerge and soak all the parts that way over night? Also is Prime by API like stress coat or another brand? Also the filter is full of water and the algae seems fairly free.
I'm not too familiar with that exact filter, but the motor head usually comes off the main body. I would rinse the body with very warm but not too hot water. Give it a good rinse and get rid of any loose algae. You could use your shower either to do this. The motor head can usually be stripped down also, try this before soaking it with the bleach and if you can clean it without the bleach, then i would do it this way.. A brand new toothbrush or a brush(brand new) used to clean babies bottles is also a great tool to clean filters and the tank.. The heater can be cleaned this way also.
When using bleach in or on anything going into the tank, make sure you give it a really good rinse with warm water before returning it to the tank.
Remove the impeller(be careful, these can be easily damaged) from the motor head and again use the t.brush to give it a good clean..
Prime is made by Seachem. It is an excellent product and is super concentrated. A 250ml/500ml will last a very very long time.. 5ml dechlorinates 200ltrs!!

PS..Don't unscrew or strip down the motor head if your not sure what your doing. You could end up frying the fish or yourself or both!!!. Seriously, be very careful as i'm sure you know, water and electricity don't mix..
Anything that needs to come apart for cleaning or replacing, should come apart easily, without the use of a screwdriver!!!

Old 02-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Okay thank you very much for the advice I will take it apart and start cleaning it tonight I hope. I will be extremely careful and I will post pictures of before and after of the filter

Old 02-09-2013, 02:10 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Okay thank you very much for the advice I will take it apart and start cleaning it tonight I hope. I will be extremely careful and I will post pictures of before and after of the filter
No problem, glad to help. Look forward to the pics and let me know how you get on..
Old 02-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Here is I photo of the filter now I will post one later after I clean it. I use the app for android.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130209_124028.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	150939   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130209_124103.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	150940  

Old 02-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Here is I photo of the filter now I will post one later after I clean it. I use the app for android.
To clean the tubes, i use a tool i bought in a plumbing shop over here. It's a bristle brush on the end of a steel rod. Extension rods can be added onto it to make it longer.. It's basically like a smaller version of a chimney swipe!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF7205.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	150951   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7211.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	150952  

Old 02-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Keep posting. This transformation is interesting.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:26 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

I was unable to find one of them brushes. I used a new tooth brush I got from walking in and asking for one at a local dental office. Told them I wanted it for my dog lol. I used it on the hoses I could the ones I couldn't I plan on replacing with clear tubing from ace hardware (our true value) it Lowes if that will work. I cleaned all the internal parts and the actual canister and quick connect valves are soaking over night in vinegar/water solution. Tomorrow I will rinse it all extremely good and wipe it out with napkins. I will post pictures of the clean product tomorrow. I am worried... what of I don't get it all out will the new media help control the algae and maybe wen I set it all back up using some algaecyde??? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you all for the advice thus far
Old 02-11-2013, 02:34 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Here is a few pics of what is dry and clean so far.
This was completely green couldn't tell it was black or had the plastic inlet screen.

Name:	ForumRunner_20130211_003103.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	151329

This was also green the filter sleeve was trash and carbon was also green instead of black.

Name:	ForumRunner_20130211_003151.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	151330

Worst smell ever!!!
Old 02-11-2013, 12:14 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Here is a few pics of what is dry and clean so far.
This was completely green couldn't tell it was black or had the plastic inlet screen.
Attachment 151329

This was also green the filter sleeve was trash and carbon was also green instead of black.
Attachment 151330

Worst smell ever!!!
Great job, they look brand new!!!. I'll send mine over next week for a re-furb!!. They look brand new, don't worry about getting every single spot of algae. As long as you keep your water quality good, you should have no probs with algae.. Most tanks have some algae, controlling it is the main thing....
Old 02-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you and it wasn't too bad after all the help from everyone thanks again. I'm going today to get razors and a sponge for the tank. I'm also going to get carbon and a new filter sleeve. Ill post pics of the tank when i start today or tomorrow as well. Here is the finished canister.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20130211_110052.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	151389  

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com