Overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buffy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone :)

I am just wondering what ID (Inside Diameter) you used for your piping/hoses on your overflows and return lines.

1. What ID on your overflow line(s)?
2. What ID on your return line(s)?

Thanks for reading and responding.:)

Hi Buffy,
I'm still in the planing stage of a 40B set up. I will use 1 1/2 pvc through the back wall with a internal overflow, not sure if it will be herbie or durso. For my return I have a Mag 9.5 pump the outlet is 3/4inch so at least that big maybe 1 inch still undesided if over the top of the tank or through the glass. I'm also looking for sugestions, recomndations,and opinions from everyone.
Thanks,
Mike

2" overflow with 1" return for me. You want to make sure your overflow is twice the size of the return for the best flow and to avoid clogs in the line.

Oh boy. I have equal sizes. I will have to redo my overflow then.

Buffy said:
Oh boy. I have equal sizes. I will have to redo my overflow then.

Ya the pump can create more pressure then gravity so the overflow line can't handle as much water as the return can send if you know what I'm saying.

Im new to the sump and overflow scene. I have 2 aquarium life support overflows on my 13g fowlr tank. They flow into my 40g sump. And a Mag 950 return. Questions: do I need to leave sponges on overflow box? Does the u tube have to be on side of overflow box that doesn't have bulk head? All of my lines have ball valves. My 2 overflow valves are open all the way. My return is halfway closed. Is this normal? Advice please!

I feel that with the sponges and with the utube being on the opposite side of bulkhead it's restricting flow.

Back
Top Bottom