overflow box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Red44

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I'm not sure what the gph this overflow box is as I got it used the guy that I got it from said he had this one and another overflow whitch got him 1800 gph

Attachments

• image-3483027114.jpg
    image-3483027114.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 121
Yeah I misread it. It's rated up to 400g.

I can't find any other overflow box. Either that over flow box is a modified version of the aqueon proflex box or it was custom-made. Anyone else have any clue to what kind of overflow this is?

how many drain holes does it have and how big are they?
also how big is the siphon tube(s)? It appears to have two.

That will determine how much flow you can get out of it.

scottayy said:
how many drain holes does it have and how big are they?
also how big is the siphon tube(s)? It appears to have two.

That will determine how much flow you can get out of it.

There's 1 drain hole and it's about 1"1/2 and the tubes are about 1"3/8 I might just use one tube though

Sorta I wish I could post a better pic but it's to large to upload the box that's not in the water that's behind the tank is 4"

Base your dimensions off of the inside diameter of the hole (not including the size of the plastic wall, this would be outside diameter).

If your inside diameter is 1.5" then assuming just gravity as pressure it will get you about 2100 gph of flow, according to this chart: GPM/GPH Flow based on PVC Pipe Size, ie, How much water can flow through Sch 40 Pvc Pipe Size 1/2" 3/4" 1" 1.5" 2" 2.5" 3" 4" 6"

That is absolute max. You may be limited to how fast your siphon tubes can get water to that hole (I'm not sure the flow of siphon tubes and how they work in relation to size).

I'm willing to bet the siphon tubes won't move water equally as fast as your drain hole (because then your outside overflow box would overflow).

Then your GPH can go downhill with twists turns or bends in the drain tube.

If those are the inside diameters you listed I'm going to say it would be around 1800gph.

scottayy said:
Base your dimensions off of the inside diameter of the hole (not including the size of the plastic wall, this would be outside diameter).

If your inside diameter is 1.5" then assuming just gravity as pressure it will get you about 2100 gph of flow, according to this chart: GPM/GPH Flow based on PVC Pipe Size, ie, How much water can flow through Sch 40 Pvc Pipe Size 1/2" 3/4" 1" 1.5" 2" 2.5" 3" 4" 6"

That is absolute max. You may be limited to how fast your siphon tubes can get water to that hole (I'm not sure the flow of siphon tubes and how they work in relation to size).

I'm willing to bet the siphon tubes won't move water equally as fast as your drain hole (because then your outside overflow box would overflow).

Then your GPH can go downhill with twists turns or bends in the drain tube.

If those are the inside diameters you listed I'm going to say it would be around 1800gph.

Thanks that's alot of gph is there way of slowing it down? Like a dial thing sorry I don't know the actual name. Or is that a good amount of flow?

Depends on your tank size. For a 200 gallon it would be great.
Yes, you can slow it down by attaching a ball valve to the drain. PVC piping + ball valve - can be found at any local hardware store.

scottayy said:
Depends on your tank size. For a 200 gallon it would be great.
Yes, you can slow it down by attaching a ball valve to the drain. PVC piping + ball valve - can be found at any local hardware store.

My tank is a 72 gallon so I guess I'll get a ball valve

Back
Top Bottom