OverFlow Box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nestor29

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm looking into an overflow box for a 40g breeder but don't know much about them. Is there different kinds...good or bad ones? Drilling the tank is not an option for me.

My main concern is "What if the power goes out?" Will I have a flooded living area?

Also what about return pumps...

I'm in the same boat.
I'd like to see what people say.
*tags along*

Zactheninja said:
I'm in the same boat.
I'd like to see what people say.
*tags along*

Yeah I've been doing research but haven't found the answer.

If the power goes out, a correctly made hob overflow will not lose its siphon.

there are a few different types that i know of. The DIY, the "U" tube setups, and the pump driven setups. I went with the CPR CS90 overflow which is a pump driven overflow and it is awesome IMO. I don't know much about the DIY and "U" tube system other than the "U" tubes tend to lose siphon a lot from what i've heard. I went with the pump setup from the start.

any overflow will of course lose its siphon once the water gets below the overflow intake, this is why precautions have to be taken to not overfill the sump. you need to allow for the extra water from the system to back up in sump without overflowing.

This is the system i got.
CS Overflow - Overview and Installation - YouTube

skywhitney said:
there are a few different types that i know of. The DIY, the "U" tube setups, and the pump driven setups. I went with the CPR CS90 overflow which is a pump driven overflow and it is awesome IMO. I don't know much about the DIY and "U" tube system other than the "U" tubes tend to lose siphon a lot from what i've heard. I went with the pump setup from the start.

any overflow will of course lose its siphon once the water gets below the overflow intake, this is why precautions have to be taken to not overfill the sump. you need to allow for the extra water from the system to back up in sump without overflowing.

This is the system i got.
CS Overflow - Overview and Installation - YouTube

I've seen this video before...seems legit! How quiet is it?

CPR Is Probly the best overflow boxes out there, but they come with that Best out there price tag... Im in the same boat im lookin at a CPR knock off from Aquatraders. If you have the means Go witht he CPR one but if your poor like me and parting the tank togeather onnickels and dimes, look in to the knock offs Overflow Box :rolleyes:

How many GPH would I need for a 40g?
How about return pump?

Back
Top Bottom