Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-03-2005, 11:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to troutman11111
overflow box

hi,i have 1 300gph overflow on my 75gal,a 600gph pump in the fuge that ihad to slow down to keep the tank from spilling on the ground. it's been 1 1/2 yrs no problem. now the overflow box should have 1in of suction when working fine, this is not the case now, it has 1/8 in. bad. i turned the pump down and the water went right back to 1 in, perfect i thought till i looked in the overflow box the water was barly going down the flow rate is very slow now. i cleaned the screen on the overflow also. do i have to cut the pvc and replace it? the check valve on the return side does not hold the water anymore when power goes out. thanks. i'm thinking alga build up. thanks.

Old 02-04-2005, 12:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to dustybrannum Send a message via MSN to dustybrannum Send a message via Yahoo to dustybrannum
check the "u" tube for algae, sponges, or built up air bubbles. i have to re prime mine about once a month cause of microbubbles

Old 02-04-2005, 09:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

no u tube, this is a cpr. i,m using a penguin 300gph power head to run it.
75gal oceanic with 20 gal refugium, 750g.p.h.pump for HSA-250 skimmer, EHEIM-1250 PUMP FOR 200gph mincal. calcium reactor with 20lb co2 tank and co2 regulator with solenoid, 800G.P.H. overflow box pump and filter, aquaclearl 500 power filter for circulation and carbon use only,wave maker 900, 3x300g.p.h., pinpoint ph controller, delta star 1/3hp chiller.with 600g.p.h. pump, spectrapure automatic liquid level controller for the addition of ro.di.top off water, kent marine 4 stage delux maxxima 35g.p.d. hi-s, t.d.s. monitor, flush kit, 170lbs live rock, 5in sand bed, acropora's LG green,pink, and med purple, LG montipora encrusting purple, LG porities coral yellow, LG ruffled ridge coral, LG starburst coral green, green hairy mushrooms 100+, blue mushrooms, red mush, fluorescent green mush,green striped mush, bubble coral, LG finger leather and 2in baby, green ricordia mush, in refugium halimeda plant, caulerpa, and lot's of bug's. 1 purple tang, male and female percular clown's, 1 yellow wrasse
troutman11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 09:47 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Sounds like you have a flood just waiting to happen. There is nothing wrong with hang on overflows, i have two myself, but they are not a 'set it and forget it' type thing. I do about 5 minutes of preventiive maintance on mine every month. This includes shutting the overflow down and cleaning the U tube out with a pipe cleaner brush as well as taking the prefilter sponge out and rinsing it well with warm water.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 12:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have a cpr, this has no u tube. the water goes in from tank down, then up this skinny part ,then down and up an into the box which goes to the fuge. that skinny part cannot get there to clean.
75gal oceanic with 20 gal refugium, 750g.p.h.pump for HSA-250 skimmer, EHEIM-1250 PUMP FOR 200gph mincal. calcium reactor with 20lb co2 tank and co2 regulator with solenoid, 800G.P.H. overflow box pump and filter, aquaclearl 500 power filter for circulation and carbon use only,wave maker 900, 3x300g.p.h., pinpoint ph controller, delta star 1/3hp chiller.with 600g.p.h. pump, spectrapure automatic liquid level controller for the addition of ro.di.top off water, kent marine 4 stage delux maxxima 35g.p.d. hi-s, t.d.s. monitor, flush kit, 170lbs live rock, 5in sand bed, acropora's LG green,pink, and med purple, LG montipora encrusting purple, LG porities coral yellow, LG ruffled ridge coral, LG starburst coral green, green hairy mushrooms 100+, blue mushrooms, red mush, fluorescent green mush,green striped mush, bubble coral, LG finger leather and 2in baby, green ricordia mush, in refugium halimeda plant, caulerpa, and lot's of bug's. 1 purple tang, male and female percular clown's, 1 yellow wrasse
Old 02-04-2005, 12:42 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Im not fimular with the CPR construction. Is there a way to get a flexable pipe brush in there? If not then a replacment might be needed. SOmeone who has a CPR may be able to better advise you.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 12:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you are having problems getting a flexible brush to go thru the CPR's wier, You could try to take some thread and let one end "flow thru" the wier while the overflow is in operation. Tie the thread to your flexible brush and pull the brush thru. Hope this helps.
140#s Live Rock from LiveRocks.com
Frogspawn, Hammer, Zoos, Leather Frag, and Xenia and Green Star Polyp frags from fishfreek and Alarmguy66, Thanks!
Member of the Unofficial A-Team
bound_for_obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 09:57 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

excellent Idea, i tried this morning with a piece of white twine after i soaked it because it floated, there is not enough suction. i will try again tonight with a 700gph pump to the cpr.gotta go to work.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

no luck with the string.looks like i will have to take the cpr off the tank,cutting pvc stinks. fishfreek, what kind do you have? you said you have u tubes.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:21 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

troutman11111 buy a pvc cutter. They probably cost less than $15 and work really well.
here is a link to what they look like...
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...23091-407-8215

140#s Live Rock from LiveRocks.com
Frogspawn, Hammer, Zoos, Leather Frag, and Xenia and Green Star Polyp frags from fishfreek and Alarmguy66, Thanks!
Member of the Unofficial A-Team
bound_for_obx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flow, overflow, overflow box

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com