Overflow box noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lemmy_k

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What are you people doing to quiet the water noise of the overflow box? I tried bio balls foam and a riser tube. Foam seems to do the best job, but I'm afraid of the nitrate levels rising if I don't clean it everyday or so.

Wow, thanks i was gonna make a thread with this exact same question. Isnt this just a siphon method?

Tried it in my HOB sometime ago, could never get it right so I ripped it out. If anyone has pics/vid of someone making it work post them please

Yes and Yes... It's in the overflow. That was the topic. If you're also adding in sump noise then there are options to deal with that also but I was just answering the overflow.

Although not made for HOB people have done it.

Can a Durso Standpipes work in a hang-on the back overflow?

Here ya go...simple yet totally effective. :)

overflow-sm.jpg

It's just a plastic cup with a hole in the top and an airline coming out of the hole. It sits over the HOB drain. Totally silent...and cheap. ;)

Yep. You can see a small piece of eggcrate on the left. The cup is wedged between the eggcrate and side of the overflow to keep it from moving.

My box is built into the inside of the tank. The big noise problem comes from how far the water falls. Any other ideas?
I may end up with the "plastic cup" method. Do you have some more pics of that?

How much room do have in the box? Here's a photo of my over flow filter.
img_1031050_0_96ddafa2ea34109916cd31ea8a0095f5.jpg
I have plenty of room.
How quiet is it? Do the dogs do ok in the overflow box?
I can't hear mine at all with the foam, but it's so much work to clean it every day.

i just took a short piece of 1/4 inch clear vinyl tubing and put it through the prefilter into the bulkhead and you can't even hear it

If it's an internal overflow (drilled in the bottom), I would again refer you to the durso. The height of the 'street el' will determine the water height in the box, hence the height the water will fall (and thus noise).

Even simpler but you may end up with the flushing noise in the drain is to simply raise the height of your drain tube. The height of the drain tube determines how high the water gets in your box. The higher the water level the less 'fall'.

All this would be predicated on your tank being drilled with an internal overflow box

I went ahead and got the Durso. All is well. I wish I would have found them two years ago when I set up the tank.

Back
Top Bottom