Overflow Drain(s) required?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pomps

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I would like some advice on whether or not I need an overflow drain for an acrylic tank I'm having custom built (48x24x36) about 180G for a freshwater community. Do I need one for FW or is mainly for SW tanks? If so how many do you recommend? I'd like to keep all equipment inside the cabinet stand to avoid any visual clutter. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thank you. :lol:

Overflows are a definite must. If your power goes out when you aren't home, you could walk into your own private ocean or pond. It basically protects your wet/dry from overflowing.

Thanks for the advice. Do you recommend more than one Overflow and where's the ideal placement? One at each corner or one in the middle of the tank? :wink:

artoledo said:
you could walk into your own private ocean or pond. It basically protects your wet/dry from overflowing.
If power goes out the tank won't overflow with or without a sump. Drilled tanks such as you're considering have little to worry about with overflowing since the overflow isn't dependent on a siphon and rarely ever get clogged.

www.melevsreef.com has a ton of info on sump setup.

I think it's a great idea since added water volume is good with either FW or SW with the added bonus of being able to hide equipment and provide the tank with good circulation.

With a 180 tank I'd look at a using a 55 gal tank for your sump which you can build yourself. This post goes into the details. You will still need baffles to control bubbles.

I'd have them drill two overflows with a 1.5 inch Bulkhead which will give you close to 800 GPH for each overflow or 1600 GPH total. Don't forget to ask for two return 1" bulkhead holes.

www.marineandreef.com has a great pump overview for selecting the proper pump. Main thing to remember is to get a pump that doesn't exceed your overflow rating at the proper head pressure.

I'd put the overflows/returns in the corner personally.

Thanks tecwzrd. That's a lot of helpful info. I want to make sure I don't mess up and find a pond on my living room floor when I get home from work!

As long as you don't let your sump run dry (which can hurt some pumps) and leave enough room in the sump for minor tank drain off (about 8-10 gal for a 180) when the pump is cut off you have very little to worry about.

You can also easily incorporate a wet/dry filter within the sump as well to handle your bio-filtration needs.

Back
Top Bottom