Overflow Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hillage

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I was thinking of my overflow and trying to plan ahead. I didn't seem to notice anybody using the BeanAnimal overflow. I was just wondering what opinions on this overflow people have, especially people who use it. With nobody using it, it makes me worry that either it isn't very good or it is just way too much work to set up... Thanks for any tips in advance. =)

I'm sorry, I don't have any experience with the Bean Overflow, But i have used Eshopps in the past and currently and using 2 CPR's (150's). I was NEVER a fan of the eshopps for the common reasons.. loud and when it lost siphon, it was a pain to get started again.. Now this was back in the mid 90's and necessity was the mother of invention with Durso stand pipes and powerheads for siphon. However, I can honestly say the CPR's are awesome. They move a crap load of water relatively quietly at that. I do use them with the TOM pumps so they will restart in case of a power outage. They are hassle free and easy to clean.

I offer this information as an option for you to consider, if you haven't already purchased your Bean.

Best Regards,
J

BeanAnimal overflows aren't sold, you have to build them yourself. It's supposed to be extremely quiet and very safe. If you are interested, you should look it up. I'd post a link but I'm on my iPod touch, and it's sort of hard to find and copy the URL. Sorry about that... But it really does look great. I'm just curious if people just don't know of it, or don't want to build it.

Sorry about the double post. Perhaps I'm not quite correct on the terms. I assume it's called an overflow... The tank will be drilled. There are three pipes that can take the water to the sump. I'd suggest looking it up if you need more details. But basically I'd be building an overflow (if that's the word) from one side to the other, and there would be 3 pipes that each have their own way of getting the water down. One is an emergency in case it starts to overflow in the [overflow]... Sorry if I can't give too much info, it's just sorta hard for me to explain.

Here's a link: http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx

Last edited:
I've seen a few of these posted here before but are called something else,as far as I'm aware they are very good,better than any overflow boxes.I use the eshopps and i think they are excelent when setup corectly,and dead silent.

I think I might still go with it. Everything I've seen says that they work wonders, but can sometimes be a pain to build. I haven't done any work with acrylic and silicone yet, so I'll have to make my sump for some experience before I make the overflow in my display tank

I think I might still go with it. Everything I've seen says that they work wonders, but can sometimes be a pain to build. I haven't done any work with acrylic and silicone yet, so I'll have to make my sump for some experience before I make the overflow in my display tank
Acrylic needs to be cut square,I would get it cut by a company,other than that it is easy to work with.Be aware though silicone doesn't stick to acrylic so you'll have to use some special stuff

Thanks for the tip. Didn't know silicone wouldn't work. Any suggestions as to what I should use?

Thanks for that thread link. When I clicked on it, the 2nd page came up (which I assume you wanted). The first post on page 2 had a picture of somebody's plan. That is exactly what mine would look like after building it. I'll read more on that thread. Thanks for the link, I appreciate the help!

Back
Top Bottom