Overflow level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdergar

Aquarium Advice Freak
Finally have the tank on the stand with water running through for the first time. Just doing an equipment and leak run. It's a 120 g with two corner overflows in the back. I was at the LFS and noticed something. On their system the level behind the overflow covers stay the same height. On mine it seems to be rising and falling about 1-1/2" every minute or so. Tank level and sump level are steady. Is this normal? Will that settle over time? Should I just keep an eye on it? Thanks so much...

Steve

does it sound like a toilet flushing? If so there is not enough air getting into the stand pipe. If there is a valve just open it up unitl it stops. you may need to drill holes in the top to let more air in

If it is not getting close to the top I woudn't worry about it, I have seen systems do that. Any pics?

That first elbow that turns to the right should be a T with a pipe going up with a cap on it and there should be a hole drilled in the cap. This lets air in so the water just falls. You have two options, try drilling a hole in the elbow to achieve the same thing, or if necessary redo the drain pipe with the T instead of the elbow.

There is a hole with a tube sticking out of it on the top of that elbow towards the left part of it, right over the part that leads down and out. Should I try making it bigger. Right now it's about a 1/8" hole with a 1/8" tube sticking up.

Steve

A couple of different pics

Here are two more pics. The red outlines are where the holes are in the side of the bend and the upper red outline is the tube sticking up. Thanks...Steve

If you can make it bigger that may work. Is the thing sticking up a tube? Where do the holes on the sides go? Just inside the tube?

The holes need to be able to pull air not water. like someone said befor get a T instead of the elbow for the first turn so the stand pipe continues up. Cap the top end of Tee. With the smallest drill bit you have drill holes in the cap until the flushing stops. Don't glue any of the components of your stand pipes so you can pull them out if you need to. I have no issues with mine and can vary the water level in the overflows just by cutting the long pipe. you want you drop into the overflows to be 1-2" Also use a larger pipe than your bulkhead for the stand pipe. mine are 1.25" into a 1" bulkhead. look at the picure carefully and you can see the difference in the sizes. Lowes has a MUCH better selection of PVC parts than Home Depot. I made these for about $15 not includeing bulkheads

Attachments

• CAM_2749.JPG
    CAM_2749.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 57
Thanks to all of you for your help. After the initial fill and then dump (system and leak check) I've filled the tank back up and on the advice of another member I pulled up the air tubing a bit on each drain and everything is working just perfectly.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom