Overflow Location?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

360º

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Im getting a 180 gallon tank built and was wondering where would be the best place to put the built in overflow.

i was thinking in one of the corners. but maybe the middle?

any pros and cons to each?

360º said:
Im getting a 180 gallon tank built and was wondering where would be the best place to put the built in overflow.

i was thinking in one of the corners. but maybe the middle?

any pros and cons to each?

Coast to coast? If so then middle.. If not then put it on the side IMO

Middle is ugly. I prefer corner overflows. Leaves you more room to aquascape. A middle overflow just cuts your tank in half basically. Unless you are doing a coast to coast like stated above. Then yea, you do that on the back.

Looks like this:

5y9bgk.jpg

hsqt0i.jpg

oh ok thanks.... i think im gonna have it centered on the left side of the tank. so i can have both sides viewable

is one going to be enough for that tank? I would probably use atleast a 1.5" bulkhead for the drain on that tank if I was only going to have one.

i would use a low profile overflow and drill the back of the tank towards the top, not the bottom. who is making the tank for you?

I also recommend glass-holes overflows. I used one myself on my previous tank and it was great. No noise, no loss of siphoning which means no flooding, and the overflow boxes are pretty low profile. The kits also come with everything you need including the hole cutters and bulkheads. Best choice i made for an overflow setup. If i didn't have an external overflow already built-in my current tank i would have gone with glass-holes again.

Back
Top Bottom