overflow noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

z_dano

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm new at the marine tank thing and I've build a sump and yada yada yada. Well I've had everything hooded up for a week now and its all seems to be running well but I get a lot of noise from my overflow. It's just general water noise but its much louder than I had thought. I've put shutoffs on both sides and played with them with little change. Is this comin? The pump is a triton4 from deep blue (1050 gph) is this the problem? Is there too much flow? Not enough?

What kind of overflow is it? Hang on back, or built in? If built in, are you using a durso stand pipe?

It is a hang on the back... I guess it must have had a clog because my wife just called and good me half my sump just pumped out onto the living room floor. :( at least I have something to do when I get home... I think it was an aqueon single intake?

My overflow was caused (guessing) by a loss of siphon in the overflow tube. I have some concern of this happening again. I have ball valves on both the pump and overflow side so I've been messing around with those hoping that will solve my problem. I've noticed that if I throttle back on the overflow side I get less of a gurggling sound but there is a fine line between reducing flow and over pumping on the other side (as I also found out) so now I'm also throttling that back a bit too.
I guess my next question is if this is common? I thought I could run both wide open but that didn't work out so well. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Back
Top Bottom