Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-12-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Overflow Placement

After several years, I am setting up a new reef tank. I have decided on 150 gallons. 72 x 18 x 28. I was going to buy a new Oceanic with Starphire glass. However, there are two big problems with the new Oceanic. The first is the glass center brace which is now 24 inches wide! On my old Oceanic center brace was 18 inches and tended to collect a calcium film which baked on and was hard to clean. This obviously cut down on light transmission to the tank. The new brace now takes up fully one third of the water surface. The second problem is that the overflows are no longer in the corners, but on the back wall. I have found several posts decrying this placement as inhibiting flow and making stacking the tank a real problem. Apparently positioning the overflows here is standard with All Glass aquariums now with Oceanic being a subsidiary. Does anyone have any advice about these issues? The tank has been delivered to my local aquarium store and the overflow position and size of the center brace surprise us all. Should I send it back? If so what should I get? Perfecto? Glass Cages? Somebody smart answer quick! Thanks very much

Old 12-13-2009, 09:31 AM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I have a Perfecto 125 that has both overflows in the corners. I love the setup. The only thing I don't like is, it has 1 center brace (about 3" wide plastic) and I run 3 MH bulbs, so 1 of the bulbs is directly above the center brace, but it hasn't been an issue as far as shadows or the plastic warping from the heat.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I am concerned about the backwall off center placement of the two AllGlass style overflows being hard to clean (double wall) and hard to stack around. You should not complain about the center plastixc brace. The Oceanic brace is 24" glass! It wont melt but it sure gets crusted and is hard to clean once it does cutting down on light transmission.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why don't you get a 150 oceanic and drill it yourself, I personally love their tanks but not the RR version.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

On my old Oceanic 135, there was an 18 in glass brace right in the center of the tank. It was tough to clean and eventually became almost opaque with Ca salts which would not scrape off. The new Oceanic 150s have a 24 in brace, 1/3 of the surface area! How have you dealt with this?
Any one else have experience with stacking around overflows on the back wall instead of in the corners?
Old 12-15-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

One of the local fish club members wraps the glass centre brace with saran wrap and replaces it as needed. It seems to be a patial solution, but not an ideal one. He has talked about using clear tape and is trying to find one that does not leave much residue.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Saran Wrap

That's a novel idea. I plan to use 400Watt metal halides for light. I wonder if the Saran Wrap would just melt to gooey.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Perfecto

Have you been happy with the build quality of the Perfecto?
Old 12-15-2009, 08:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Very happy. I have seen a few other 90's that I do not like nearly asmuch. The plastics are well formed, the caucking is well done. The plastics seem easy to keep clean. My only issue, if you could call it that, is that the thick tempred glass causes some distortion when viewing off angle, but that is not specific to pefecto.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:36 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

The distortion in my 120 very noticeable on off angle close up viewing as well.

Tags
flow, overflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com