Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-14-2006, 03:29 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
I use a CPR CS90 overflow. It works great but the trick is to use a large power head. I use a Maxi-jet 1200. Also having this- http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...y_Code=Maxijet -will help. Having the venturi on the intake, as opposed to the kits that go on the output of the pump, allows it to work much better. I have tested my CPR atleast a dozens times and using the set up I described it has not failed once. Hope that helps.

MT79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:37 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
Sweet tip MT, I can feel pretty cheap and happy trying this out. I've got a few odd maxi 1200's lying around, this will help. I went to that cpr site nsu7 posted, that was very helpful, I changed from the powerhead to the air lifter and that seems to be keeping the flow up some, but it's still just a hairs breadth from overflowing. Anything at this point is worth a try.

Only thing more dangerous than a 2nd lieutenant saying "In my experience" is a warrant officer saying "Hey guys, check this out!"
zuzecawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 02:02 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
I have posted a few times at cpraquatics.com. They have some ownership or collaboration w/ the manufacturers of the aqua-lifter pump AFAIK. That's why they "push it" so hard. I read many threads on lots of different forums before I bought the CPR overflow and most of the time if there was a problem there was a common factor-the aqualifter pump. It's just not powerful enough. The people who use Rio 600(?) or MJ 1200 had good results(I would avoid the Rio for other reasons though). Another good thing is you can hide the ph in the sump and just run an airline up to the overflow. FWIW I can run my Mag 9.5(950 gph) wide open w/ the CS90(600 gph). The only problem is the flow is too much for my sump and bubble traps. Micro-bubbles end up getting back to the display tank. IMO the MJ 1200 w/ the intake venturi fits the CPR overflows PERFECTLY! I have just a few small bubbles in the "C" of the overflow at any given time. Keep in mind that any bends or curves in the overflow tube/plumbing will cause restriction. Good luck.

MT79 is offline   Reply With Quote

drilled, flow, led, overflow, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com