Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-01-2011, 12:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Overflow stand pipe system for sw

I was looking on craigslist and came across a sw tank that said it has been drilled for silent overflow stand pipe system, can anyone tell me what that means?

Old 11-01-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The tank will have at least one hole drilled in the bottom that should be outfitted with a bulkhead fitting. Typically this will be behind kind of a dam which water flows over. In the hole will be a pipe that water actually flows into to keep it from making an incredibly loud gurgling sound. Below the tank would be plumbed to a sump.

Most of the time there's a second hole which would be for the return. It would have (again generally) a smaller diameter pipe that goes up and over the dam.

This genes rally makes for a clean looking installation which could be right against the wall or in the wall.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can I use this tank for brackish or freshwater? Would I have to set the tank up using the overflow thing or could I set it up like a normal tank?
Old 11-02-2011, 10:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You would probably need to just get bulkheads (if they're not already in there) and plug them with PVC caps if you won't be using a sump.

Tags
flow, overflow, pipe, stand, stem, system, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com