Overflows and Pumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mykpoz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,

The day is getting closer, and I hope to get a bit more ideas from you all.

my 75g is nearly done (meaning all parts are almost purchased.)

Now I am trying to figure out the size of overflow/pump to return the water from my sump...

I will have a 29gal tank that I will use as a sump, later converting it to a fuge (i think) I will have the ASM G1X protein skimmer in the sump as well.

I have read that the more you can turn the water over in a tank the better, but is there an overkill point?

I am looking at possibly a 1200gph overflow box, with a mag 18? of course something with a ball valve to adjust the return rate.

I am assuming the head height to be around 4feet, maybe a tad taller.

Also, any recomendations on the types, amount, and size of powerheads i should start looking at?

TIA

Im running my 125gal reef with 2 drilled bulkhead overflows that can run at approx 1200 and I have a Sen 900 as the return pump that is Ted and has 2 return lines to the tank and it works out well. A mag 18 maybe a little overkill IMO. Why have a ball valve when you can get a lower GPH pump and not restrict it.
If you get the right set up you may not need any power heads in the tank. I don't like the way they look so I have none in either of my tanks and i have good flow with the return pump. I have the hang on back return hook on both tanks and it works out well, amiracle sell them they just hook up through the hose.
What type of corals are you looking at?

well i am getting the coralvue T5/VHO kit....

Not sure really, just whatever strikes my fancy that lies in the light spectrum/strength that i can support.

I will need find out what type of pump and if that is going to be enough from the protein skimmer.... not sure how that all will work... i havent found an article that really explains it well...

One a second note, (might be a new post) but how far do you think i should have the lights over the water.... building a DIY canopy

mykpoz said:
I will need find out what type of pump and if that is going to be enough from the protein skimmer.... not sure how that all will work... i havent found an article that really explains it well...

Not sure what your talking about here???????
Protein skimmer runs on its own pump...

you answered it, that i will still need to provide a pump to shoot the water back up into the tank.

second note...

What size overflow do you suggest, and what should i expect to get it for?

:?:

Skimmer, UV, and water return all have separate pumps. Do not forget to figure in your head pressure for your return pump. not sure what to tell you on the overflow I have no experience with HOB setups.

Well I have a mag 9.5 to handle the return, the tank height is a good 4.5 feet from the floor, so i guess the safe thing to do is to assuming 4.5 feet it should perform @750-800gph, (read somewhere bends add another foot to the measurement...) that true?

Bends definitely add resistance to your water flow. I am not sure on how many bends=1 foot head pressure. There are probably more variables than that. Use flexible pvc to eliminate hard bends and resistance.

a 1" drain will only flow about 650 GPH maximum. Stick with a mag 9.5 for a straight shot or a mag 18 with a ball valve if you have bends in the plumbing

ack,

I was hoping my mag 9.5 would be good enough to run the return .... looks like ill have to upgrade that sooner then expected :(

Can you not use flex pvc and avoid sharp bends? Subtle/gradual turns should not effect your GPH.

i am using soft pvc

but from the skimmer... i was hoping to go to a T where the return line would split to both back corners... where it will then go from a 90 bend to the ball-socket fittings a
'Y" section then to 2 6" adjustables with the spreadind tip

should i reduce down and add some power heads? or increase pump size?

Back
Top Bottom