Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

I found them online at a place called grainger which has a store 7.5 miles from my house. Hopefully I can get there tomorrow. One last question. Does the Sealant ring thing go on the inside of the tank or the outside? I would assume inside just wondering though.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

correct, the seal goes on the inside of the tank.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

How do I tell what size the other bulkhead is eithough taking it out? I had a spare of the other. I think it's 1". Thanks do much for the help so far. How much do I tighten it??? I don't want to crack the glass.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

i personally cant tell you how to tell. hopefully someone else can chime in.

like i said earlier, the common sizes are 1" for your drain and 3/4" for your return. if you take your spare one in they can help you determine that size. do you know if its the same sized bulkhead for your whole tank? like can you hold it up to the ones currently installed and see if the outside diameter of the spare is the same as the rest of them?

to install, just go hand tight and maybe half a turn more with some pliers. make sure the seal is flat on the inside of the aquarium with no kinks. you may be able to see the seal squish some. to me thats tight enough. if you get any leaks, slowly tighten until it stops. but i doubt you will get any.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:05 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

If the bulkhead in your picture is the same on your tank now, take it with you to grainger & match up the OD (outside diameter) of the make (external) threads. If you are still unsure weather it is 1" or 3/4" after that due to them possibly having the same OD (which I doubt they are) get the 1" and a couple 1" x 3/4" bushings just in case, then you are coveted either way. Also, you can adapt to the bulkheads you already have but it would most likely be easier to put in new ones. There are fittings however that would allow you to go from hose barb (as pictured as the bulkhead you have now) to either MIP or FIP ( male iron pipe / female iron pipe). You then would add a MIP or FIP x slip adapter. I strongly suggest you go the new bulkhead route tho. Also note that just because I used iron pipe in the mip/FIP description that only refers to style and not material, i.e. PVC not steel for this application.

I meant male threads not make threads in the beginning, dang auto correct!
Old 08-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thank you. I know the bulkheads for the return are 3/4" so I'm assuming the others are 1" because they are def bigger. Right???
Old 08-21-2012, 11:10 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would think so. I doubt you have metric ones and finding bulkheads in 1/8" sizes is uncommon. I would think on a 150 your overflows would be drilled to accommodate a one inch. If you could post a pic of the underside of the tank with a tape measure beside the adapter I could most likely positive id the size/type for you.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:16 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well im positive one is 3/4" as it says it on the spare of the exact same size. Ill try to take a pic afterwards. The small one is 3/4" for comparison.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:47 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here. Remember the smaller one is 3/4". Best pic I could get sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3264885038.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	113989  
Old 08-21-2012, 11:56 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya if the smaller (return) is 3/4" then I would have to say that the other (drain overflow) is a 1". If you decide to run the new lines hardpiped I would suggest adding a union for disassembly/maintenance later. Personally I use a truunion ball valve for that & throttling ability. Also, if you are planning on hardpiping the return line keep in mind pump noise (vibration) level could increase, so keeping a section of tubing off the pump then transitioning to rigid PVC will help with that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3852193545.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	113991  

Tags
noise

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com