Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-22-2012, 08:06 AM   #31
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I may have missed it, but what do you think you will accomplish by changing from flexible lines to solid PVC?

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

I want to be able to add valves and things and I just like the look alot more. My mom gets scared about the flex tubing "falling out" of the sump because it is just resting in there. I want ball valves on the return and eat overflow so I can adjust how much watercress out of which. Thanks for the help so far!!!! And would it increase noise a lot???

Old 08-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

My pump is a lifeguard quietone 4000 and when I hardpiped it it was so loud you could hear it three rooms away with doors closed. I tried many vibration dampening solutions & nothing minimized it. I had lifeguard send me a replacement pump and that did not help at all. Finally the owner of lifeguard to me I was most likely getting too much vibration from the the hard PVC. He advised I ran a section of it in flexible line to reduce vibration noise. I ran about 8" of vinyl off the pump and it cleared up the noise drastically.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Actually I was just thinking of this. Right now I already have PVC directly on the pump for a fitting and then vinyl so vibration shouldn't be too different right? I have about 6" of PVC now.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, the place had them but they were $20 a piece which I think is ridiculous. Is there any way I can mod mine????
Old 08-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #36
SW 20 & Over Club

You can get valves to fit on flexible tubing, and I would never put a valve on a drain line.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lol I have valves everywhere. Being a plumber I have a deep appreciation for valves. Why would you never put one on a drain? Makes zero sense to me.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crister13
Ok, the place had them but they were $20 a piece which I think is ridiculous. Is there any way I can mod mine????
You cab get bulkheads (tank adapters) at most aquarium supply stores and online try these:
Marinedepot.com
Aquariumguys.com
And I got mine here:http://www.truvuaquariums.com/sc40bufi.html
Old 08-23-2012, 08:11 AM   #39
SW 20 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithhjs View Post
Lol I have valves everywhere. Being a plumber I have a deep appreciation for valves. Why would you never put one on a drain? Makes zero sense to me.
Think about it.
Would you put a shut off valve on the drain line on a sink? And if not....why? And if you should, do you normally install them?
Old 08-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Drain for a sink would not get a valve. Not unless it had constant flow and could not be interrupted and required servicing. However many drain lines, from such applications as storage tanks and whatnot will. All depends on the drain. In an aquarium, such as mine, I have dual overflows and one side is considerably louder than the other. With valves on both drain lines it allows me to throttle down the louder side to quiet it and still get flow. Furthermore, I had an anemone decide it wanted to campout on the side of an overflow box. Started getting sucked in & I couldn't remove it without damaging it's foot. With valves installed, I was able to stop flow on that side and allow the anemone to right itself and then move (due to change in current), all while still minting flow through a sump. Sorry crister if thread got jacked.

Tags
noise

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com