Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Overlfow making a ton of noise!!!

So I have a 150 gallon tank with dual overflows. My family hired someone to initially set up all of the equipment and transfer our 75 over to the 150. When this did this, since the return pump sat on the left side of tank, they made that hose shorter and what happens is more water exits the pump on the left side then the right causing the left overflow box to drain more. When this happens, every 10 seconds or so it makes an extremely loud huge gurgling noise. What should I do?? Could I add a ball valve? It's vinyl tuning so not sure how to add one. What size ball valve should I add? In confused. Please help. This is what I'm talking about:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3067827088.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	113626  

Old 08-20-2012, 12:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

How do you figure that the left overflow box is draining more because of the return? Unless the tank is divided, that's impossible unless your return is feeding the drain line directly.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just assumed so because I can see more water coming out of the left line than the right and also more water gets pumped into that side. Also when I clean the algae off the teeth (I have some algae) if I don't clean the left side and clean the right the noise stops.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:38 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any ideas?
Old 08-21-2012, 12:35 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

im a huge fan of the "herbie ultra silent overflow method" google will be your friend on this.

there are also stand pipes called gurgle busters now that you can diy. basically matching the return flow to be a full siphon like the herbie method does.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think my pumps to strong. I have a mag 18. I'll just get a ball valve and dial it down.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also what are the advantages of having PVC return???? And drain?
Old 08-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like hard plumbing supply and returns for the professional look of it and the versatility vs the hoses.

Also consider if there is a variation in length or number of bends/loops between left and right side drains it will cause a fluctuation in drain volume left from right.

By putting a valve on your return you are creating heat and stress on your pump. But it is a way to help.

The gurgling is the air, that has been sucked in, escaping from the drain line. I would suggest putting a valve , preferably a gate valve, on your noisy drain line. Dial it back until you have a full siphon Your other side will pick up the slack.

Again I urge you to, if nothing else, watch the videos on the full siphon bit. Bulk reef supply has a few vids about it. It's in the sump video of their how to start a salwater tank series. And there are a few YouTube vids of people showing their herbie overflows.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok thanks. I'll make 100% PVC lines and put ball valves on. I'll watch the video when I get home. Thx again.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh and one last question. I have the flex tubing now.... So do I need to do anything to the bulkheads? Or just screw a female adapter on and get started?

Tags
noise

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com