Overlfow making a ton of noise!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crister13

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have a 150 gallon tank with dual overflows. My family hired someone to initially set up all of the equipment and transfer our 75 over to the 150. When this did this, since the return pump sat on the left side of tank, they made that hose shorter and what happens is more water exits the pump on the left side then the right causing the left overflow box to drain more. When this happens, every 10 seconds or so it makes an extremely loud huge gurgling noise. What should I do?? Could I add a ball valve? It's vinyl tuning so not sure how to add one. What size ball valve should I add? In confused. Please help. This is what I'm talking about:

Attachments

• image-3067827088.jpg
    image-3067827088.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 84
How do you figure that the left overflow box is draining more because of the return? Unless the tank is divided, that's impossible unless your return is feeding the drain line directly.

I just assumed so because I can see more water coming out of the left line than the right and also more water gets pumped into that side. Also when I clean the algae off the teeth (I have some algae) if I don't clean the left side and clean the right the noise stops.

im a huge fan of the "herbie ultra silent overflow method" google will be your friend on this.

there are also stand pipes called gurgle busters now that you can diy. basically matching the return flow to be a full siphon like the herbie method does.

I like hard plumbing supply and returns for the professional look of it and the versatility vs the hoses.

Also consider if there is a variation in length or number of bends/loops between left and right side drains it will cause a fluctuation in drain volume left from right.

By putting a valve on your return you are creating heat and stress on your pump. But it is a way to help.

The gurgling is the air, that has been sucked in, escaping from the drain line. I would suggest putting a valve , preferably a gate valve, on your noisy drain line. Dial it back until you have a full siphon Your other side will pick up the slack.

Again I urge you to, if nothing else, watch the videos on the full siphon bit. Bulk reef supply has a few vids about it. It's in the sump video of their how to start a salwater tank series. And there are a few YouTube vids of people showing their herbie overflows.

Ok thanks. I'll make 100% PVC lines and put ball valves on. I'll watch the video when I get home. Thx again.

Oh and one last question. I have the flex tubing now.... So do I need to do anything to the bulkheads? Or just screw a female adapter on and get started?

I'm assuming that your bulkhead fittings are slip fit on the sump side. If your flex hoses are not glued in place, it may be a fight, but you should be able to wiggle them free and glue your PVC from there. If it is glued, bulk head fittings are cheap and easy enough to replace Hope that answered your question.

The threads that the jamb nut thread onto the bulk head are not for anything but that jamb nut. All hose/PVC work should be slip fit or threaded on the inside part of it.

I'm confused..... What's the inside part??? So they should slip fit on? Just use PVC glue? How do I know what size to use??? I can't measure it's impossible. It's flex hose and vinyl tubing..... Don't know how to know what size to get!

My pump is 3/4".... Do you think that's how big the bulkhead is for the overflow for the pump? How big is flex hose?

And also, in the return I have that U Shape thing with one end half the length of the other. I want to take them out and clean them. How do I do this? Do they just come off??

I see now, I just realized this isn't your standard bulkhead. Where should I get one for PVC??? See this one is for flex tubing. Is there any way I can mod this to make it PVC useable?

Attachments

• image-2720802016.jpg
    image-2720802016.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 57
Some one please help could I use the h
Threads already on here??? Or would I need completely new bulkheads??? Please help I wanna do this tomorrow.

Attachments

• image-2255632626.jpg
    image-2255632626.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 51
New bulkheads if you want to go PVC. 1" is common for the drain and 3/4" is common for the return.

Common not standard.

Back
Top Bottom