Paging Loganj: HOT Magnum Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Logan, though some others might want to know about the HOT Magnums also, and you have spoken well of them in the past.

2 questions I have:

1. It came with 2 filter catridges, 1 for polishing, 1 for media. they only included charcoal for the media, and I don't want to use charcoal. What kind of hard media have you used in these, and/or wha would you reccomend?

2. I'm running DIY co2, with the bubbles running straight into the filter intake. either once or twice an hour, the filter "whooshes" and rids itself of air (co2, I assume). I have no loss of flow at any time, so it doesn't lock up. Do you think it's ok to run this way on a permanent basis? Am I hurting anything?

I have never used anything other than charcoal in the media container, but you can put anything you want in there. I think you could even use bio media in there. The Eheim bio media would fit well in there I think. I used the polishing cartridge about twice and threw it away. It clogs so fast it's almost not worth fooling with IMO. I couldn't see any difference in the appearance of the tank either. It might be useful for free floating algae though.
I don't know how much C02 you'll lose as the filter purges, but it won't hurt the filter at all. It's designed to purge when it gets air in the system. That's what the little acrylic tube that runs up the side of the center piece is for. As long as the C02 levels in the tank are acceptable to you, go for it.
You may find, after the filter gets some age on it, that the O ring doesn't want to reseal when you put the top back on. Lightly grease it with some Crisco and it will seal up fine. Since the Crisco is not water soluable, I don't see it hurting the tank or its inhabitants...at least I've never had any trouble.
My HOT Magnum has been running 24/7 for the last 4 years and I've never done anything but clean it (infrequently :oops: ).
Logan J

Thanks Logan!

I was thinking of the Ehiem media, guess I'll pick up some of that. I used the polisher after intial set up, just to clear the dust out of the water, it worked pretty well for that. I'll keep it around you never know if I may need it again sometime.

My ph is around 6.5, so there is plenty of Co2 in there.

Glad to know I can run it the way I want to!

It's designed to purge when it gets air in the system. That's what the little acrylic tube that runs up the side of the center piece is for.

I knew this, but when i first got the co2 on there it would purge almost every bubble, but now a few days later, like i said every 1/2 to 1 hour. As long as it doesn't airlock, I'll stay the course.

Since it's designed to purge itself (within limits of course), I think you'll be OK with no more C02 than you're putting through it. JMHO.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom