paintball c02

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
i tried it yesterday. theres a lil thing that you connect to put the c02 in the back instead of in the front and i used that in my tank.. i dont know how long it'll last but it works.

all i need is like a diffuser, so i was thinking on building a bubble ladder or something. but how do you build it?

Did you rig an airline tube to the valve on the top? I'd like to know how you did it, if you could explain.

It will be hard to build a bubble ladder, but you could try running it through an air stone unless you could get your folks to get a Hagen ladder that you sometimes see on Ebay or Aquabid for cheap. I think you might be able to order them from an online retailer for about $9 - can't recall where.

You could fix the CO2 tube into your filter intake also, or make a powerhead driven reactor with a water pump and a gravel vac rigid tube.

First off, you will need to measure your KH and be sure you have enough buffering capacity to keep your pH stable.

I'll move this over to the Planted forum where CO2 is very frequently discussed.

There was a previous thread on this that had several people suggesting that the CO2 that is in paintball cylinders somehow contains some aerosolised lubricants (something I was unaware of, but glad to know, since I had considered using those mini-tanks myself)....something you may want to look into before using the stuff.

krap101,

I assume you are trying to introduce CO2 for plants. Here is an article on a DIY system that does not require and cartridges:

http://members.aol.com/yamatoaquariums/co2.html

I used a setup similar(used standard 2 liter bottles) to this for years when I had a planted Discus tank. I used Tetra difussion bells which I believe are still available and did a great job. My plants thrived to the point that I was harvesting them for a while and selling back to the pet store.

Good luck,

I thought there were lubricants, also, Toirtis, but since my husband did all his research prior to getting me my pressurized system, from which he regularly robs the gas to fill his paintball cylinders that he uses for his pellet guns, he was told by the people at the oxygen company that the gas is all the same. Those cylinders won't accept the valves we use to squeeze out the excruciatingly tiny amount of gas for planted tank purposes, but that is just a matter of plumbing. That's why I am interested in how Danny got the gas to come out slowly for his experiment.

This is just around here, so in other locales it may be that additives are used in the CO2 tanks for paintball.

okay theres a metal "rod" thats about |-| long. when yiou twist it on the c02 it pushes another one of these down and the more you twist the more comes out. ill try and get a pic if i cant find a camra.

i know i can get it into a tank but the lil metal tubes not long enough fo. yesterday i was just experamenting about if i could get the right amount of bubbles out. i tried a bubble stone and it was too big for the hole in the c02. so i held it there and it works. so...

f4396d2c.jpg

f4396d27.jpg

today i was experimenting and i think i found the answer. i pushed the nozzle thingy against my siphon rigid part, and tried it. i think i may have found my diffuser. when the bubbles got to the bottom the sand made the bubbles really small. until the rest of the c02 came up and *BOOM* *Splash* the c02 built up (musta twisted it) and pop. im siliconing it right now. so... i hope this works.

today i bought a nutrafin bubble counter. i think im probally going to get some rubber fittings and try and get it to fit.

It's possible to buy adjustable regulators for paintball tanks, that will let you run a low pressure line off of a standard paintball tank. If you're really serios you can also get even finer tolerance needle valves and step-down regulators from www.clippard.com. The problem is, it'll cost you about as much as a normal regulator to get all the stuff you'd need to make a setup work, and with the money you'd spend refilling a 9oz paintball tank at 2 bucks a pop, you might as well just save up and get a 5 lb tank.

-Jeff

Back
Top Bottom