Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

A hammer is bad it for all tanks... Heh. As for lowering it, my father still treks stories about me feeding our fish french fries when I was four. Low could be bad, and high lowers the chance of a random hammering to I suspect, but then she might have trouble sering the fishies

Old 04-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I would go with the glass one, less chance of scratches inside or outside of it. I have a 5 year old, who was told over and over from day one. The fish are only to look at, don't hit the glass, dont tap the glass, dont put stickers on the glass etc. He's never given it a second thought, and only just recently started paying attention to the fish at all. The tank has been at the far end of the basement in his play area too until the past month when I finally refinished the stand and moved it. I guess all I can say is just keep an eye open, and not worry. Glass tanks are alot harder to break than you'd think.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

that sounds great! Do you know how wide the access hole is?

What do you mean open space? Is your light on stilts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by revchristinejday View Post
Hi! I've got a seaclear 50 gallon and was suprized by the only big access to the tank being those the holes in the top. I'm short so I was worried. I am no longer. By using a small step ladder i've been able to do everything: from putting in gravel using a 4 cup scoop, to filling it, cleaning and pwc.

I've not found that it scratches easily and I know I wouldn't have been able to handle the weight of a glass one of that size.

The lights that come as a combo for the seaclear don't work for me. I like to have some open space at the top so I got another brands hood lights...

Hope this hrlps
Old 04-06-2011, 07:17 PM   #14

It sounds like a lot of people are recommending glass. Other than cost, what is the main advantage?
Old 04-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #15

I know most peoples glass tank have not broken, but I wish had some actual statistics. If it were 1 in 10,000 I would still go acrylic. However, I recently looked at the statistics on sky diving and then went ... it's safer than driving for a year.

Another way I'm thinking about it. Has anyone on the forum ever had a tank break while in use?
Old 04-06-2011, 10:36 PM   #16

I'm on my 5th glass tank and I've never even heard of anyone's breaking, let alone mine. Just my two cents!

Please show your support for this site, vote...Click here
kirbster23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by burke View Post
that sounds great! Do you know how wide the access hole is?

What do you mean open space? Is your light on stilts?
The two access holes are about 5"X7" and separated by a 2-3" divider and they are in front of an opening in the top back that easily accommodates a HOB filter. Not liking closing the entire aquarium up with the Seaclear combo light, I purchased another brands "replacement 36" light and went to Lowes and had a thick piece of acrylic cut 36"X4" which spans the whole back top after the HOB and protects the light from any water. I move the light and acrylic piece whenever I do pwc & cleaning. But in place I still have two holes about 6"X4" to give air movement and access for feeding etc.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:34 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by burke
I know most peoples glass tank have not broken, but I wish had some actual statistics. If it were 1 in 10,000 I would still go acrylic. However, I recently looked at the statistics on sky diving and then went ... it's safer than driving for a year.

Another way I'm thinking about it. Has anyone on the forum ever had a tank break while in use?
Had a tank out in the living room (25 long) and out of nowhere it started to leak! But thats the only problem I've had.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:18 PM   #19

stats

I'm trying to get at the statistics of broken tanks. I did a search of the forum and found one thread talking about a broken tank. Two other posters said theirs broke too. The thread had ~360 views. If we discount the OP, that's about 1 in 200 aquarium owners that experience a tank failure.

What do you think?
Old 04-09-2011, 05:29 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by revchristinejday View Post
Hi! I've got a seaclear 50 gallon and was suprized by the only big access to the tank being those the holes in the top. I'm short so I was worried. I am no longer. By using a small step ladder i've been able to do everything: from putting in gravel using a 4 cup scoop, to filling it, cleaning and pwc.

I've not found that it scratches easily and I know I wouldn't have been able to handle the weight of a glass one of that size.

The lights that come as a combo for the seaclear don't work for me. I like to have some open space at the top so I got another brands hood lights...

Hope this hrlps
I have a glass 55 gallon and have had it for about 8 years now. It is in excellent shape, no scratches, and very sturdy.

Tags
glass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com