Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Paranoid about glass

Hello All,
I'm new to fish in the last few months and I'm having a lot of fun. I was loaned a 10G in December, but now I want something bigger.

I bought a 30G from a big chain, but I am paranoid about it breaking as I have a toddler and I live in a condo, so I'm considering acrylic. I'm not overly concerned about the cost, except that I don't want to be getting a new one anytime soon if I spend a bunch on it.

So, the issues for me are:
1) size: not too big not too small (I'm leaning toward 50g: 36x15x20)
2) is it a real pain dealing with the small access holes on the SeaClear tanks?
3) Could I use a lower stand so it is easier to get into?
4) Am I just being paranoid about the glass tank?
5) to bow front or not

edit: I'm thinking I'd like to get a eheim 2217 and mount the return above the water with more holes to create a rain effect. would this be feasible?

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

-Burke

Old 04-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hey welcome to AA If you post your questions under the getting started section of fw or sw (Whatever you plan on keeping) People will be able to help you with your concerns

Old 04-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I think glass would be better with a toddler... I can just imagine what my son would do to scratch the tanks if they were acrylic. Glass doesn't scratch easily, and unless your toddler has something like a hammer, I don't think you'll encounter any issues.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #4

should i repost?

I should read the rules carefully. Is it okay to just repost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishNewbie View Post
Hey welcome to AA If you post your questions under the getting started section of fw or sw (Whatever you plan on keeping) People will be able to help you with your concerns
Old 04-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Don't repost... I'll have somebody move it

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Moved

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #7

thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad View Post
Moved
no text
Old 04-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #8

You're probably right, but given my paranoia, I've combed the web for stories of tanks breaking. Big mistake. The worst are the stories where it broke for no known reason! I'm sure it's rare, but it would be a catastrophe. Aside from my daughter getting hurt, the water would go right on top of the people below me. I'd probably end up replacing their wood floors.

I'm less worried about scratched glass since she responds well to reprimanding. However, it's hard to prevent the first time she decides to throw a yo-yo. Of course, in my head, if a hammer gets within 2 feet of the tank it breaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
I think glass would be better with a toddler... I can just imagine what my son would do to scratch the tanks if they were acrylic. Glass doesn't scratch easily, and unless your toddler has something like a hammer, I don't think you'll encounter any issues.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi! I've got a seaclear 50 gallon and was suprized by the only big access to the tank being those the holes in the top. I'm short so I was worried. I am no longer. By using a small step ladder i've been able to do everything: from putting in gravel using a 4 cup scoop, to filling it, cleaning and pwc.

I've not found that it scratches easily and I know I wouldn't have been able to handle the weight of a glass one of that size.

The lights that come as a combo for the seaclear don't work for me. I like to have some open space at the top so I got another brands hood lights...

Hope this hrlps
Old 04-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a glass 55 gallon and have had it for about 8 years now. It is in excellent shape, no scratches, and very sturdy.

The only downside is it's heavy.. much heavier than acrylic.

Your glass tank won't break.

scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com