Paranoid about glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

burke

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All,
I'm new to fish in the last few months and I'm having a lot of fun. I was loaned a 10G in December, but now I want something bigger.

I bought a 30G from a big chain, but I am paranoid about it breaking as I have a toddler and I live in a condo, so I'm considering acrylic. I'm not overly concerned about the cost, except that I don't want to be getting a new one anytime soon if I spend a bunch on it.

So, the issues for me are:
1) size: not too big not too small (I'm leaning toward 50g: 36x15x20)
2) is it a real pain dealing with the small access holes on the SeaClear tanks?
3) Could I use a lower stand so it is easier to get into?
4) Am I just being paranoid about the glass tank?
5) to bow front or not

edit: I'm thinking I'd like to get a eheim 2217 and mount the return above the water with more holes to create a rain effect. would this be feasible?

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

-Burke

Last edited:
Hey welcome to AA :D If you post your questions under the getting started section of fw or sw (Whatever you plan on keeping) People will be able to help you with your concerns :D

I think glass would be better with a toddler... I can just imagine what my son would do to scratch the tanks if they were acrylic. Glass doesn't scratch easily, and unless your toddler has something like a hammer, I don't think you'll encounter any issues.

should i repost?

I should read the rules carefully. Is it okay to just repost?

Hey welcome to AA :D If you post your questions under the getting started section of fw or sw (Whatever you plan on keeping) People will be able to help you with your concerns :D

You're probably right, but given my paranoia, I've combed the web for stories of tanks breaking. Big mistake. The worst are the stories where it broke for no known reason! I'm sure it's rare, but it would be a catastrophe. Aside from my daughter getting hurt, the water would go right on top of the people below me. I'd probably end up replacing their wood floors.

I'm less worried about scratched glass since she responds well to reprimanding. However, it's hard to prevent the first time she decides to throw a yo-yo. Of course, in my head, if a hammer gets within 2 feet of the tank it breaks :)

I think glass would be better with a toddler... I can just imagine what my son would do to scratch the tanks if they were acrylic. Glass doesn't scratch easily, and unless your toddler has something like a hammer, I don't think you'll encounter any issues.

Last edited:
Hi! I've got a seaclear 50 gallon and was suprized by the only big access to the tank being those the holes in the top. I'm short so I was worried. I am no longer. By using a small step ladder i've been able to do everything: from putting in gravel using a 4 cup scoop, to filling it, cleaning and pwc.

I've not found that it scratches easily and I know I wouldn't have been able to handle the weight of a glass one of that size.

The lights that come as a combo for the seaclear don't work for me. I like to have some open space at the top so I got another brands hood lights...

Hope this hrlps

I have a glass 55 gallon and have had it for about 8 years now. It is in excellent shape, no scratches, and very sturdy.

The only downside is it's heavy.. much heavier than acrylic.

Your glass tank won't break.

A hammer is bad it for all tanks... Heh. As for lowering it, my father still treks stories about me feeding our fish french fries when I was four. Low could be bad, and high lowers the chance of a random hammering to I suspect, but then she might have trouble sering the fishies

I would go with the glass one, less chance of scratches inside or outside of it. I have a 5 year old, who was told over and over from day one. The fish are only to look at, don't hit the glass, dont tap the glass, dont put stickers on the glass etc. He's never given it a second thought, and only just recently started paying attention to the fish at all. The tank has been at the far end of the basement in his play area too until the past month when I finally refinished the stand and moved it. I guess all I can say is just keep an eye open, and not worry. Glass tanks are alot harder to break than you'd think.

that sounds great! Do you know how wide the access hole is?

What do you mean open space? Is your light on stilts?

Hi! I've got a seaclear 50 gallon and was suprized by the only big access to the tank being those the holes in the top. I'm short so I was worried. I am no longer. By using a small step ladder i've been able to do everything: from putting in gravel using a 4 cup scoop, to filling it, cleaning and pwc.

I've not found that it scratches easily and I know I wouldn't have been able to handle the weight of a glass one of that size.

The lights that come as a combo for the seaclear don't work for me. I like to have some open space at the top so I got another brands hood lights...

Hope this hrlps

It sounds like a lot of people are recommending glass. Other than cost, what is the main advantage?

I know most peoples glass tank have not broken, but I wish had some actual statistics. If it were 1 in 10,000 I would still go acrylic. However, I recently looked at the statistics on sky diving and then went ... it's safer than driving for a year.

Another way I'm thinking about it. Has anyone on the forum ever had a tank break while in use?

Last edited:
that sounds great! Do you know how wide the access hole is?

What do you mean open space? Is your light on stilts?
The two access holes are about 5"X7" and separated by a 2-3" divider and they are in front of an opening in the top back that easily accommodates a HOB filter. Not liking closing the entire aquarium up with the Seaclear combo light, I purchased another brands "replacement 36" light and went to Lowes and had a thick piece of acrylic cut 36"X4" which spans the whole back top after the HOB and protects the light from any water. I move the light and acrylic piece whenever I do pwc & cleaning. But in place I still have two holes about 6"X4" to give air movement and access for feeding etc.

burke said:
I know most peoples glass tank have not broken, but I wish had some actual statistics. If it were 1 in 10,000 I would still go acrylic. However, I recently looked at the statistics on sky diving and then went ... it's safer than driving for a year.

Another way I'm thinking about it. Has anyone on the forum ever had a tank break while in use?

Had a tank out in the living room (25 long) and out of nowhere it started to leak! But thats the only problem I've had.

stats

I'm trying to get at the statistics of broken tanks. I did a search of the forum and found one thread talking about a broken tank. Two other posters said theirs broke too. The thread had ~360 views. If we discount the OP, that's about 1 in 200 aquarium owners that experience a tank failure.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Hope this hrlps
I have a glass 55 gallon and have had it for about 8 years now. It is in excellent shape, no scratches, and very sturdy.

Back
Top Bottom