Particle Board Stands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbneedshelp

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering, even though they cant get wet if particle board stands are worth getting? They are inexpensive (or so ive heard) but i still would like to know if they are a good buy and if you could do somthing to them to make them water proof? TIA!!

Cant do much to make them water proof. I would think polyurathane would help but that itself might weaken the wood in an effort to seal it.

Really how much water is going to get on the stand. If you can paint it that should be good enough. Just don't let water sit on it for long. With particle board you only have a problem if the water stays on it for long periods. Trust me I'm a cabinetmaker and work with this stuff all the time

Why are you going to go particle over regular plywood? Last I checked, which is regional/seasional so it might be way off now, particle board cost almost as much if not more than regular plywood.

around here plywood is way more than particle board. I have two stands that I built with paerticle board and painted them and they are perfect(made both for under 100 dollars with paint

the reason i asked was i saw a tank and stand in the classifieds and it had a particle board stand, im not getting now because i plant on building my own stand this weekend into the week. (40 gal WOOT!) but thanks to you all!!

Edmonton Eskimo said:
What material are you going to use?

im doing a 2x4 base and then finishing it will nice plywood. im hoping to only spend around 50-60$

Back
Top Bottom